Clover Head Start gets grant, place to stay
CLOVER -- Clover's Head Start educational program for low-income children and families will not be deprived a classroom at growing Kinard Elementary.
A federal grant for $12,000 will keep the program running this fall by allowing Clover Head Start to lease a new mobile unit for one year, said the program's executive director, Walter Kellogg.
Head Start has been offered for seven years at Kinard, the school closest to many of Clover's low-income families who qualify for the program. But Kellogg was recently notified that there was no room on Kinard's campus for the 17 students who had been recruited this spring.
The school instead sought space for a new integrated arts and education program for second-, third- and fourth-graders, which moved storage supplies such as floor buffing machines and physical therapy equipment in the building Clover Head Start had used.
Superintendent Marc Sosne said the Clover school district will pay any excess costs for moving the mobile unit, setting up plumbing and making other preparations. He expects to invest $1,000 to $2,000 extra on the unit, which he says will be in working condition next month.
"Our space problems are what caused the problem," Sosne said, "so we're happy to do that for Head Start."
-- Christy Mullins
Woman charged with assisting escaped inmate
COLUMBIA -- State Corrections Department officials say a Bennettsville woman has been charged with providing assistance to an escaped inmate.
Corrections Department spokesman Josh Gelinas said Friday in a news release that 24-year-old Antinya Poe was being held on obstruction of justice charges.
Poe is accused of misleading investigators and withholding information about Rayshawn James' whereabouts.
The 28-year old James has been on the run for nearly three weeks after walking away from Palmer Prerelease Center in Florence last month.
James started serving a six-year sentence in September 2007 for crack distribution.
B&C sells Myrtle Waves and SpeedParks
MYRTLE BEACH -- Burroughs & Chapin Co. Inc. said Friday it had sold Myrtle Waves Water Park and five NASCAR SpeedParks to Florida-based PARC Management, which plans to keep the attractions open.
Also Friday, B&C laid off some of its more than 1,400 employees, but did not say how many or in which departments.
In a statement issued through the company's public relations firm LHWH, B&C said the layoffs were a result of the sale of the parks and "the current state of the economy"