▪ Molina Healthcare of South Carolina Back-to-School Bash, 1:30-3:30 p.m. Monday at Tri-County Pediatrics, 815 E. Liberty St., York. The event is open to the public; 200 drawstring bags of school supplies will be given away. First come basis.
▪ Kut Kreator will give free hair cuts, school supplies and food, 8 a.m.-noon Monday at 875 Albright Road, Rock Hill. Parents should accompany children.
▪ Back-to-School Explosion, sponsored by Lancaster County Prince Lodge, LAPS, Lancaster Police Department and community sponsors, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Old Barr Street School, 610 E. Meeting St. Children of all ages can attend. There will be entertainment, food, speakers and games. Rain or shine. Bring a lawn chair. Children must be present to get school supplies.
▪ 100th annual Hopewell Day, Wednesday at the Old Hopewell School, Hopewell Road, Hickory Grove. Hash is $8 a pint and sales start at 6 a.m. Gospel singing at 10 a.m. Proceeds go to Hopewell School renovation.
▪ Free community Bingo, 2 p.m. Friday at Glen Rock Baptist Church, 1815 N. Dobys Bridge Road, Fort Mill. Details: 803-517-2021.
▪ Indian Land-based animal rescue Paws in the Panhandle is holding a 50 percent off all merchandise sale Thursday-Aug. 20 at its thrift shop, Pawsitively Thrifty, 8715 Whippoorwill Drive at the corner of Possum Hollow Road. Shop hours are 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursday-Saturday and 1-4 p.m. Sunday. All proceeds benefit Paws In The Panhandle.
▪ Poor Man’s Supper and Auction to benefit Derek Ingram, 5 p.m. Saturday at McConnells Community Center, Church Street. Jeff Gilfillan will sing. Ingram is awaiting a liver transplant. Sponsored by Philadelphia United Methodist Church, York
▪ Arts Council of Chester County summer concert and dance, 7-10 p.m. Aug. 25 featuring Eddy’s Song at the Chester War Memorial Building, 154 Main St., Chester. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. The event features heavy hors d’oeuvres, cash bar and raffle. General seating is $25, members; $28, non-members in advance. Reserved tables for eight are $250. After Friday, all tickets will be $30. Tickets available at the Arts Council or Posh Peacock Salon. Cash or check only. Details: 803-581-2030.
▪ Antiques and Artisans show and sale, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Aug. 25 and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 26, Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, Liberty Street, York. Lunch available, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. and bake sale, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Parker Ramsey, organ virtuoso, will give a free concert, 3 p.m. Aug. 26.
▪ Central City Optimist Club 14th annual Charity Golf Tournament, 8:15 a.m. Sept. 9 at Spring Lake County Club, 1375 Spring Lake Road, York. Entry fee: $240, foursome and $60, single. Proceeds support high school student scholarships, oratorical and essay contests, law enforcement officer recognitions, and other youth and senior citizens activities. Details: 803-230-3325, 410-259-1365 or 803-493-0001.
▪ PJ Brunson will close out this summer’s Concert in the Park series, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Fewell Park, Alexander Road, Rock Hill. Free. Bring a picnic and blanket or lawn chair. Details: 803-329-5645.
▪ Allison Creek Bluegrass will host Cottonwood, 7 p.m. Thursday at Allison Creek Presbyterian Church on S.C. 274 in York. Free admission. Doors open at 6 p.m. with food service at 6:30 Details: AllisonCreekBluegrass.com.
▪ Humorist Jeanne Robertson brings her brand of humor for a Hospice fundraiser Sept. 7 at Baxter Hood Center, Rock Hill. Robertson headlines Hospice & Community Care’s 5th Annual LOL event, which raises money for under-insured Hospice patients. She is author of three books on humor and can be heard on Sirius XM radio’s Laugh USA family comedy channels. Tickets: $25, general seating; $50, reserved and are available at HospiceCommunityCare.org. Details: 803-329-1500.
▪ Affinity Health Center and Northside Recreation Center will celebrate National Health Center Week, 3:30-5:30 p.m. Tuesday at Northside. The event features more than 20 agencies including social services, health care and housing. Open to the community. Breakfast for homeless is Thursday at St. Mary’s Catholic Church. Tour of Affinty is 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Friday at 500 Lakeshore Parkway, Rock Hill. Details: 803-909-9710.
▪ York Soil and Water Conservation District commissioners, 10 a.m. Tuesday at the USDA Service Center, 1460 E. Alexander Love Highway, York. Open to the public. Details: 803-684- 3137, ext. 101.
▪ The Catawba Council of the South Carolina Silver Haired Legislature, 11 a.m. Wednesday, Highland Park Senior Center, 917 Standard St., Rock Hill. Details: 803-684-9288.
▪ Western York County branch of the NAACP, 6 p.m. Thursday at Chamber of Commerce of York. Details: 803-684-6200.
York County Library
These free programs are offered at York County libraries. For a complete schedule, go to yclibrary.org.
iPhone/iPad Basics, 10-noon Tuesday main library, Rock Hill. Learn basic operations of your iPad/iPhone including what certain buttons do, installing apps, connecting to wireless networks, etc. Call 803-981-5845 to register.
Facebook 101, 10-noon Thursday main library, Rock Hill. Learn what is necessary to set up an account and manage basic privacy settings on this social networking site. Experience with Windows and the Internet required. Call 981-5845 to register.
Saturday Movies at the Library, noon-3 p.m. Saturday main library, Rock Hill. Join us for a family movie rated PG-13. Bring your lunch if you’d like; light refreshments will be provided. Students under 17 must be accompanied by an adult who remains with them for the entire movie. No registration required.
Great American Solar Eclipse, 1:30-3:30 p.m. Aug. 21. View the eclipse with the Museum of York County’s Personal Solar Telescope, Rock Hill. The PST will be set up along the Black Street side of the library during the event hours. Limited supply of safe viewing glasses can be shared among participants.
Coloring Club for Adults, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Aug. 22 main library, Rock Hill. Coloring sheets, colored pencils, and other coloring tools provided or bring your own. Bring a bag lunch. Light refreshments. Adults only. Call 803-981-5845 to register.
Researching Your Civil War Ancestor, 6-7:30 p.m., Aug. 22 main library, Rock Hill. Learn the methods and records for finding your Civil War ancestor. Get research tips and where to access the sources to understand your ancestor’s military service. For adults. Call 803-981-5847 to register.
▪ Newcomers Club of York County, 11:30 a.m. Sept. 13 at The Clebourne House, 138 Clebourne St., Fort Mill. A fashion show will be presented by Style Recycled: a Curated Eco-Fashion Boutique. Lunch: $15. Reservations: 508-397-2273 or email at YCNreservations@yahoo.com by 10 p.m. Sept. 7.
▪ Rock Hill Parks, Recreation and Tourism offers Fall Community Bike Ride events. The free events begin with a bike safety check and a review of the rules of the road. All ages welcome, but cyclists must be proficient at riding without training wheels. Helmets are required. Start location details and route information at bikerockhill.com.
Hargett Park to Fewell Park, 6 p.m. Tuesday.
Winthrop Campus to Manchester Meadows, 6 p.m. Sept. 7.
City Hall to Fountain Park/Food Truck Friday, 6 p.m. Oct. 20.
Glencairn Garden to Cherry Park, 1 p.m. Nov. 5.
Free loaner bikes and helmets are available by calling ahead. Arrive15 minutes early to get loaner bike and/or helmet. Details: 803-326-2453 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ York County Choral Society auditions, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Aug. 24 and 5:30-6:45 p.m. Aug. 31 (also first rehearsal) at Westminster Presbyterian Church choir room, 1320 India Hook Road, Rock Hill. Prepare a solo or sing the National Anthem. Fall concert, Antonio Vivaldi’s “Gloria,” Dec. 3. Details: email@example.com or yorkcountychoralsociety.org.
▪ Carolina Community Actions WIOA program is recruiting ages 17-24 for its work program. All applicants must qualify, be out of school and willing to work for 7 1/2 weeks. They may earn up to $1,600 tax free and gain permanent employment. Details: 803-366-5302, 803-266-6869, firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the office, 546 S. Cherry Road, suite C, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays.
▪ Second Harvest Partners, sponsored by Providence Presbytery, will have hunger relief site, 9 a.m. Monday at Bel Air United Methodist Church, 8095 Shelly Mullis Road, Indian Land. Volunteers will distribute food to participants who meet USDA eligibility income guidelines. Details: Catawba Area Agency on Aging at 803-329-9670.
▪ Hope for Wren blood drive, 1:30-6:30 p.m. Sept. 1 and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sept. 2 in the gym at Baxter YMCA, 857 Promenade Walk, Fort Mill. Wren was diagnosed a year ago with acute lymphoblastic leukemia and has had 13 blood and platelet transfusions. Sign up at redcrossblood.org and enter code: UNICORN.
▪ AARP Drivers Safety Program for ages 26 and older, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday at Cox Harley Davidson, 1178 Galleria Blvd., Rock Hill. Participants will get certificates that may reduce the insurance rate for collision and liability coverage for three years. Cost: $15, members; $20, for non-members. Registration is required. Details: 803-328- 5507.
▪ The descendants of Charlie and Lizzie Hough 37th annual reunion, 1 p.m. Aug. 20 at McConnells Community Center, 189 Church St. Bring a picnic lunch and drinks to share. Details: 803-324-4746.
▪ Chester High Class of 1975 reunion meeting, 4 p.m. Saturday at Front Porch Restaurant, Richburg. The trip to Savannah, Ga., is Sept. 7-10. Final trip payment is due Aug. 19. Details: 803-385-6985, 803-209-2523 or 803-984-0732.
▪ Lewisville High School classes of 1977-1980 second reunion, Sept. 15-16 at the Fort Lawn Community Center, 5554 Main St. The Class of ’77 will celebrate its 40th reunion. Events include a dinner and dance 5-11 p.m. Sept. 15, and memorial ceremony and cookout 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sept. 16. Cost is $40 for graduates, $20 for guests. T-shirts are $10 (include size). Make checks or money orders payable to Lewisville High Alumni 77-80 and mail to P.O. Box 453, Rock Hill, SC 29731. Registration deadline is Aug. 31. Details: LHSAlumni7780@gmail.com.
▪ Northwestern High School Class of 1977 40th reunion, Sept. 29-30. Details: email@example.com.
▪ Al-Anon 8 p.m. Mondays, Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill; noon Tuesdays, Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, 421 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill; 8 p.m. Mondays, Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160, Fort Mill; 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill. Serenity Seekers, 6 p.m. Mondays, The Journey Church, 5415 S.C. 557, Lake Wylie.
▪ Rock Hill Parkinson’s support group, 1:30 p.m. Wednesday in the community room at Westminster Towers, 1330 India Hook Road. Koushik Sridhar, a sophomore at a Blakeney High School in Ballantyne, will discuss a device he developed to assist Parkinson’s patients’ tremor. Details: 803-328-5587.
Send news and photos (JPEGs) to firstname.lastname@example.org or 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.