A new 89-unit apartment complex on Rock Hill’s East Main Street will “revitalize” the downtown area, according to lead principal Skip Tuttle of the commercial real estate firm Tuttle Co.
The Tuttle Co. has been working for more than a year and a half on the new apartments, which could begin welcoming tenants by January 2018.
About 75 percent of the apartments will be one-bedroom suites, with the other 20-25 percent as two-bedroom suites, Tuttle said.
He said it’s likely a diverse mix of people will want to live in the new apartments, which sit less than a mile away from Winthrop University campus, a bevy of popular restaurants and a proposed indoor sports arena.
Never miss a local story.
Tuttle said everyone from millenials to working professionals and the retired flocked to his previous apartment project on Rock Hill’s Main Street at the 139 Main building. He said he expects the trend to repeat itself farther down the block.
“The city has, for some time, understood that in order to get downtown revitalized and come back to life, they had to have people living here,” said Tuttle, who gave The Herald a sneak peek inside the apartments Friday morning.
Tenants of the four-story building can enjoy unobstructed views of Main Street, which often hosts city parades and public events. Tuttle said the company won’t start aggressively leasing space in the apartments until late October so people have the chance to begin moving in around January.
The one-bedroom and a single two-bedroom apartments range in size from about 800 to 1,150 square feet, with rental rates ranging from $900 to $1,400 a month, Tuttle said.
The building project is being developed as a partnership between The Tuttle Co. and Lat Purser & Associates of Charlotte. According to the Lat Purser website, the new apartment complex is being advertised as “The Anderson” of Rock Hill.
Most of the outside work is finished, Tuttle said, which means workers will begin focusing full-time on the interior of the building. He said the building includes an elevator system as well as walkup stairs.
Tuttle said he’s working with Rock Hill manufacturer Springs Creative to create art components for the apartment building.