Nine York-Clover events slated for Friday
The same format was used April 4, when nine York-Clover events were held at Clover High School before large crowds.
“We encourage local fans to come out and support our spring sports teams against rival Clover Friday,” said YCHS Athletic Director Steve Boyd.
Clover High School Athletic Director Carroll Hester echoed Boyd’s sentiment: “Steve and I got together on the scheduling of nine York-Clover events in one day,” said Hester. “We had all of the action at Clover April 4, and it was well-attended.”
The York stadium will be the scene of four soccer games Friday, beginning with the York-Clover girls’ junior-varsity soccer game at 4 p.m. Boys’ JV soccer will begin 5:15 p.m.
The York-Clover girls’ varsity teams will play at 6:30 p.m., with the boys’ varsity team’s closing out the day’s schedule at 8 p.m.
York and Clover varsity tennis, girls’ JV softball and boys’ jayvee baseball all begin at 5 p.m.
The York-Clover varsity baseball game will begin 6 p.m. at the YCHS baseball complex, with the girls’ varsity softball game slated for 7 p.m..
York Touchdown Club plans golf tourney
The event will have a noon shotgun start and a four-man captain’s choice format: men’s, women’s or combination.
Participation will be limited to the first 30 teams to sign up. The cost is $85 per player or $340 per team. Entries must be received by May 2.
USGA rules will apply, with four-person teams to play from a selected shot of the four. The field is not flighted, and net score will be determined from handicap.
Top-place finishers will receive cash prizes for low net and low gross scores. A beverage cart will be provided during the round. Shootout hole No. 10 includes a $250 cash prize.
There will be rewards for closest to the pin on all par-3 holes and longest drive on No. 9 and No. 15.
Food in the grove will be available after the round, during which prize drawings will be held.
Checks should be payable to York Touchdown Club. Mail entries to Tim Hartsoe, 1423 Summer Sweet Drive, York, SC 29745; or drop off entries at Spring Lake Country Club.
YCHS basketball shootouts planned
Dorman, Spartanburg, Northwestern and Clover high schools are among the teams scheduled to participate in the two-day shootout.
“Though the schedule is tentative and subject to change, we feel good about the caliber of teams scheduled to participate,” said Blackwell.
The following is a tentative list of teams for the June 16 shootout at the YCHS main gym, home teams first:
• 10 a.m., Clover vs. Dutch Fork; 11 a.m., Palmetto vs. York; noon, North Gaston vs. Andrew Jackson; 1 p.m., Dutch Fork vs. Palmetto; 2 p.m., Clover vs. North Gaston; 3 p.m., York vs. Andrew Jackson; 4 p.m., Clover vs. Palmetto; 5 p.m., York vs. Dutch Fork; and 6 p.m. (or 5 p.m. in back gym), Andrew Jackson vs. Palmetto.
June 16, auxiliary gym:
• 10 a.m., York JVs, including middle school participants, vs. Dutch Fork JVs; 11 a.m., Andrew Jackson JVs vs. Clover JVs; 1 p.m., Dutch Fork JVs vs. Andrew Jackson JVs; 2 p.m., York JVs vs. Clover JVs; 3 p.m., North Gaston varsity vs. Dutch Fork varsity; 4 p.m., Dutch Fork JVs vs. Clover JVs; and 5 p.m., York JVs vs. Andrew Jackson JVs.
June 17, main gym:
• 9 a.m., Lancaster vs. Palmetto; 10 a.m., Dorman vs. Dutch Fork; 11 a.m., York vs. Lancaster; noon, Spartanburg vs. Northwestern; 1 p.m., York vs. Buford; 2 p.m., Dutch Fork vs. Spartanburg; 3 p.m., Andrew Jackson vs. Northwestern; 4 p.m., Dorman vs. Palmetto; 5 p.m., Northwestern vs. Palmetto; 6 p.m., York vs. Spartanburg; and 7 p.m., Northwestern vs. Lancaster.
June 17, auxiliary gym (A – varsity, B – seventh grade, eighth-grade, junior varsity):
• 9 a.m., York A vs. Andrew Jackson A; 10 a.m., Dutch Fork B vs. Andrew Jackson B; 11 a.m., Northwestern B vs. Dorman B; noon, York B vs. Andrew Jackson B; 1 p.m., Northwestern B vs. Dutch Fork B; 2 p.m., Dorman A vs. Andrew Jackson A; 3 p.m., Buford A vs. Dutch Fork B; 4 p.m., Dutch Fork A vs. Lancaster A; 5 p.m., Buford A vs. Dorman B; 6 p.m., York B vs. Dorman B; and 7 p.m., Northwestern B vs. Andrew Jackson B.
York Little Cougars registration ends Friday
Pickup and dropoff locations and times for registration information include:
• American National Insurance, 47 N. Congress St., York, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday and 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday.
• Sharon Town Hall, 4025 Woodlawn St., 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Drop box is available for completed registration.
The cost for registration is $50 for football participants and $75 for cheerleaders.
The York Little Cougars are affiliated with the Southland Youth Football League.