York Comprehensive High School student-athletes were recognized during Monday’s spring sports awards ceremony in the school’s auditorium.
YCHS Athletic Director Steve Boyd encouraged parents to support the school’s athletics booster club, while bringing into focus the record number of student-athletes.
“Our booster club has raised over $400,000 since 1996,” Boyd said. “The athletic department’s booster-funded budget is over $24,000 this year.
“With the arrival of the high school football season in August, the booster club needs more members to help with the concession stands at home football games.”
Boyd said there are more than 600 games involving from 600 to 700 athletes during the school year. “There’s heavy sports participation at YCHS, especially in the spring,” he said.
Student-athletes recognized during Monday’s ceremony were:• Varsity baseball: Offensive MVP, John Moorefield; Defensive MVP, Adam Hoffman; Coach’s Award, Ray Ray Ellis; Most Improved, Will Horne; all-region: Ryan Gilbert and Adam Hoffman.
• Junior varsity baseball: Cougar Pride, Shandon Cobb and Caleb Clayton.
• Varsity softball: Spirit Award, Nora Childers and Marissa Jackson; Team Player Award, Cayla Campbell; Most Improved, Madeline Davis; all-region: Rachel Petty and Brooke Andrews.
• JV softball: Most Improved, Mallori Faris and MacKenzie Bailey; Best Batting Average, Destini Love; Best Defensive Player, Brittany Ervin.
• Boys’ varsity soccer: Defensive MVP, Todd Weatherington; Golden Boot, Benji Amezcua; Playmaker Award, Hayne Wilkerson; You’ll Never Walk Alone Award, Buddy Anderson; all-region: Buddy Anderson.
• Boys’ JV soccer: You’ll Never Walk Alone Award, Zack Beardsley and Juan Angeles; Coach’s Award, Matt Tillotson.
• Girls’ varsity soccer: Most Improved, Anna Littlejohn and Morgan Yandel; Coach’s Hustle Award, Lauren Nevis and Jessica Mendoza; Leadership Award, Ashley McCarter and Caroline Guerry; MVP, Mahoganey Setzer; all-region: Mahoganey Setzer.
• JV girls’ soccer: Hustle Award, Crystal Vue; Coach’s Award, Cassidy Hershberger; Most Improved, Jade Hayes.
• Boys’ tennis: Most Improved, Patrick Newberry; Cougar Pride, Sammie McClurkin; Hustle Award, Noah Arnold; Coach’s Award, Cameron Good.
• Boys’ golf: Most Valuable, Austin Hall; Most Improved, Landon Joye and Tucker Laney; Coach’s Award, Chandler Sain; Cougar Pride, Will Culp.
• Boys’ track: MVP, Shuler Littleton; Hardest Worker, Markell Castle; Most Improved, Jamar Griffin; Coach’s Award, Matt Ransom and Jesse Dillhyon.
• Girls’ track: MVP, Jenna DaSilva; Most Improved, Takayla Stewart; Hardest Worker, Morgan Kuczler; Coach’s Award, Heather Reinhardt and Warneesha Brown.
• Athletic trainers: Extra Mile Award, Danny Hevelow; Trainer of the Year, Dustin McNeely.
• Athletic Booster Club’s Community Service Award, Kangaroo Express; Fans of the Year, William and Linda Wilkerson; Cougar Service Award, Spike Myers and Crystal Fouts; Athletic Booster Club President’s Award, Karen Harper; Noah Williams Solid Citizenship Award, Mattie Ballard and Matt Ransom.