York to host NFL punt, pass and kick
The event will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 30, and Thursday, Oct. 2, at the York Recreation Complex Field 1.
For more information, call 803-684-3742.
Clover youth baseball, softball underway
The following is a schedule of games this week into next week.
C1 and C2 indicate games played at Clover Community Park. R1 and R2 are fields at Roosevelt Community Park in Clover, H represents Harris Street Park in Fort Mill and TC is for games played at Tega Cay’s Runde Park.
• Coach Pitch Youth Baseball Thursday, Sept. 25: 6 p.m., Muckdogs vs. Storm, R1; 7:15 p.m., Braves vs. River Dogs, R1. Monday, Sept. 29: 6 p.m., River Dogs vs. Muckdogs, R1; 7:15 p.m., Braves vs. Storm, R1.
• Majors games Tuesday, Sept. 30: 6 p.m., Red Sox vs. Tigers, C1; 7:30 p.m., Athletics vs. Reds, C1. Thursday, Oct. 2: 6 p.m., Red Sox vs. Athletics, C1; 7:30 p.m., Reds vs. Orioles, C1.
• Minors, 6 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 25: Cubs vs. Gamecocks, C1; 7:30 p.m., Dodgers vs. Braves, C1; Monday, Sept. 29: 6 p.m., Braves vs. Gamecocks, C1; 7:30 p.m., Dodgers vs. Cubs, C1.
• U10 girls’ softball, Thursday, Sept. 25: 6 p.m., Y Hot Tamales vs. Fort Mill, C2; 7:30 p.m., Y Carolina Girls vs. TC Tigers, C2. Monday, Sept. 29: 6 p.m., CL Vipers vs. Fort Mill, C2; Y Hot Tamales vs. TC Tigers, C2.
• U12 softball, Thursday, Sept. 25: 6 p.m., Fort Mill vs. CL Chaos, H. Tuesday, Sept. 30: 6 p.m., CL Chili Peppers vs. Fort Mill, C2.
• U8 softball, Thursday, Sept. 25: 6 p.m., CL Gladiators vs. TC Angels, R2; 7:15 p.m., Y Pink Ladies vs. CL Crush, R2. Monday, Sept. 29: 6 p.m., Y Pink Ladies vs. TC Angels, R2; 7:15 p.m., CL Angels vs. CL Crush, R2; 6 p.m., TC Fireballs vs. CL Gladiators, TC.
For details contact Clover Parks and Recreation at 803- 222-9493.
York Players of the Week named
Offensive lineman, Travis White, graded 90 percent with eight knockdowns; Offensive Player of the Week, Deshaw Andrews, 21 of 27 passing, 326 yards, four touchdowns; and Special Teams, Buddy Anderson, three of four PATs, 32-yard field goal, six touchbacks on kickoffs.
York Middle defeats Clover
“We scored in every quarter and the kids played extremely hard,” said coach Jerry Kemp. “We are 2-0 for the season.”
Student of the Week captains, based on teacher recommendations and effort in the classroom and on the field, were Dazaevein Wright, Justin Anderson, Robert Dellinger and Tyler Ellis.
“We are very proud of these kids,” said Kemp. “They have worked hard and continue to improve each week.”
YCHS volleyball team falls to South Pointe in region
South Pointe survived a 29-27 nail-biter in the first game, then won consecutive 25-18 games.
“We lost momentum on missed serves,” said York Comprehensive coach Julie McGee. “Our kids continue to show improvement. They need to get over the hump mentally to know they can win.”
The YCHS girls host Rock Hill Thursday, with the JV game at 5 p.m. and varsity action to begin at 6:30 p.m.
Indian Land holds off Cougar tennis
The YCHS team was playing without No. 1 singles player Heather Bomar due to illness.
“But no excuses, everyone else had to step up a notch,” said coach Rusty Graham. “Katherine Wilkins won a squeaker and doubles partners Marley Littleton and Ally Morales cruised past their opponent. We needed one more win to force a tiebreaker.”
The following are the scores for the Cougars:
No. 1 singles, Kaitlin Pruitt, 1-6, 0-6; No. 2 singles, Kaitlyn Felske, 4-6, 0-6; No. 3 singles, Katherine Wilkins, 6-0, 3-6, 12-10; No. 4 singles, Mikayla Madden, 7-6, 7-3TB, 3-6, 7-10TB; No. 5 singles, Gracie Arnold, 0-6, 1-6; No. 2 doubles, Marley Littleton and Ally Morales, 6-2, 6-1.
The Cougars were beaten 6-0 by Fort Mill, an elite team in the Upstate this year.
Clover tennis team defeats Gaffney
Playing No. 1 singles, Harriet Hall defeated Rebecca Campbell 6-0, 6-0. No. 2 singles, Corey Brom, bested Gaffney’s Kierra Robinson by the same scores.
Clover’s No. 3 singles player, Grace Miller, handled Dakota Shook in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0, with No. 4 Anna Miszkiewicz holding Lexie Fowler scoreless at 6-0, 6-0.
No. 5 Anna Drechsler defeated Li Lee 6-0, 6-1, with Clover’s No. 2 doubles team of Tiffany Mendez and McKenzie Martin defeating Gaffney’s Laura Rector and Tanisha Thompson, 6-0, 6-1.
The Blue Eagles travel to Fort Mill Tuesday, Sept. 30 to battle the Yellow Jackets in a Region 3-AAAA headliner.
YCHS girls’ golf team second in three-way match
South Pointe placed first with a team score of 146. The Cougars were next at 195, with Northwestern third at 220.
Sarah Smith had the low score for the YCHS team, with a 38. Taylor Ramsey was next at 46. Amiyah Starnes finished with a 51 score and Katie Day recorded a 60.
The next match for the YCHS girls will be Tuesday, Sept. 30 against Northwestern at Waterford County Club. The players will tee it up at 4 p.m.
York Little Cougars name stat leaders
• 10U team: Frank Thompson, 180 yards rushing, three touchdowns; Amarion Huskey, 50-yard touchdown. Defense led by Jevon Long, Kyle Hall and Greg Nelms.
• 12U team: Zy Brown, 50 yards receiving; DeShawn Brown, 75 yards rushing; Cody Benfield, six of seven passing, three touchdown passes. Defense led by Michael Whitlock, Aladrion Davis, Brian Phillips and Yasir Bey.