• The eighth grade Oakridge Middle School volleyball team defeated Gold Hill Middle School on Sept. 23 winning two out of three sets. After losing the first set 16-25, the girls won the second set 25-7. After a nail-biting third set with a score of 15-13, the Lady Eagles pulled off the win.Shia Jones
led the team as the top server of the night, whileTaylor Blake
played strong games at the net.Sophia Sprouse
did an excellent job setting her teammates up at setter.
• On Sept. 25, the eighth grade team dominated Clover Middle School in two sets. The team started out strong in the first set with serves fromAdrienne Ehrnschwender
winning 25-15. In the second set, the girls took a lead of 8-2 with Adrienne and
serves. After Clover caught up to make the score 11-10, the team fought hard to maintain the lead and ultimately win 25-18. Throughout the match,Taylor Blake, Shia Jones
played strong defensively, whileMaddy McMullen,
Dominigue and Cullen played well at the net. The team now has a record of four wins and one loss. They face Springfield Middle School away Sept. 30.
• On Sept. 23, the seventh grade team wonat home against Gold Hill Middle School, 25-18 and 25-20.Sarah Lerner
excelled in passing.Lakyn Seamster
did a wonderful job at setter.Maggie Payne
had a consistent and hard-to-return serve.
• On Sept. 25, the seventh grade team defeated Clover Middle in three sets: 25-14, 23-25 and 15-12. In a game closer than it should have been, the team lost confidence in the second set, but reset mentally and pulled together in the third to bring home the win.Ann Mason McConnell
had an excellent night in the front row making good controlled passes and adding in a couple hits.Sarah Lerner
stepped up on defense in the back row.
• On Sept. 24, the seventh grade football team ran its record to 3-0 with a 40-8 win over Fort Mill.Tay Cupe
had one TD;Zion Robbins
had two TDS and a 2-point PAT;Drew Moore
had three TDS;Blackmon Huckabee
had a 2-point PAT. Huckabee was 3 for 6 in the passing department for 138 yards and two touchdowns. Defense played another good game getting fumble recoveries and intercepting a pass. Leading the way for the defense were:Hayden Johnson
with seven tackles and an interception, andDrew Moore
with six tackles and an interception.Comorey Mikell
had fumble recoveries.
• On Sept. 24, the eighth grade team lost to Fort Mill 28-0. One of the four touchdowns scored by Fort Mill was a fumble recovery, and one was set up by a blocked punt. In the second half, the defense pitched a shutout, doing its best to keep the team in the game. The defense forced and recovered multiple fumbles, and on special teams, the Golden Eagles recovered an onside kick.Dalyn Garrett
looked great running the ball for the first time this season, but it was tough to be consistent. The offense fumbled at least eight times.