• J.H. "Hoss" Nesbitt, member of the S.C. House of Representatives and retired superintendent of the Fort Mill schools, received the Chamber of Commerce Citizen of the Year Award.
• Petty Officer Lucy Ransom, Fort Mill Realtor and U.S. Navy Reservist, attended Naval Supply School in Port Hueneme, Ca.
Never miss a local story.
• Thomas R. Gulledge, manager of the Fort Mill Trust Co., was named the new president of the Fort Mill Lions Club.
• The Board of Trustees of the Fort Mill School District was considering a proposal to close George Fish High School.
• Sgt. B.E. Heemsoth III returned to Sond-restrom, Greenland, after spending two weeks' leave with his family in Fort Mill.
• L.A. Graham Used Cars had a 1947 Buick Super, a 1946 Chevrolet Fleetline and a 1940 Ford Tudor for sale.
• A young Charlotte man took his life near the Springs dairy.
• A U.S. Postal inspector visited Fort Mill amid speculation that routes two and three would be consolidated.
• Clerk of Court Tate sent a check for $1,001.60 to the Savings Bank with which to pay the claims of Fort Mill pensioners.
• Chief of Police V.D. Potts surprised a group of six men playing poker in the woods near the Millfort Mill and marched them off to jail.