• Health screening, for stroke, vascular disease and heart rhythm at the Leroy Springs Recreation Complex begins at 9 a.m. Wednesday, June 25. the complex is located at 901 East Tom Hall Street, Fort Mill. Pre-registration is required.
• Green Teens, Make a jean purse! Turn your old jeans into a funky purse 4-6 p.m. Thursday, June 26, at the Fort Mill Public Library. Call 547-4114 to register (required).
• Charity Poker Run, hosted by the Dilworth Coffeehouse at Lake Wylie Saturday, June 28. Proceeds donated to The "I'm a Kool Kid" Foundation which is based in the Fort Mill and Lake Wylie communities. The first motorcycles leaving at 6:30 am. Prizes will be awarded. Live music, food and fun will begin at noon at the coffeehouse. Register at www.lakewyliecoffeehouse.com. For more information, contact Phil Huffman at email@example.com or (803) 656-5700.
• Free concert, Shelly Sutton will perform at 7 p.m. Sunday, June 29, at Philadelphia United Methodist Church of Fort Mill, 1691 Highway 160 West, Fort Mill. A love offering will be taken.
• Kiddie theater, "Sadie's Spectacular Saturday" 1, 2:30 and 4 p.m. Tuesday, July 1, at the Fort Mill Public Library. When Sadie the caterpillar is teased by the other bugs at her new school, she befriends a lady bug and learns that true beauty comes from within.
• The annual July 4, firing of the cannon and Independence Day Celebration in downtown Fort Mill will begin at 10 a.m. at the historic bandstand in Confederate Park on Main Street. The event will also feature patriotic music.
• Tega Cay all day, activities for July 4 include canoe jousting, boat parade, ski show and fire works. For more information and registration information forms to enter a float, visit Tegacaysc.org.
• Fish fry, 4:30-7:30 p.m. Friday, July 4, hosted by the Tega Cay Lions Club at the Philip Glennon Community Center in Tega Cay. $10 for adults, $5 for children. Eat in or take-out. Tickets may be purchased from any Tega Cay Lion or call 548-1648 or 548-3539.
• Writing contests, sponsored by the Arts Council of York County and the York County Public Library system. Juried literary competition for short fiction and poetry. Deadline for entries is Monday, July 7. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.yorkcountyarts.org.
• Bug Juice, 1, 2 and 4 p.m. Tuesday, July 8, at the Fort Mill Public Library. Mary Malaria, the fly, goes out in search of her fortune and encounters some greedy bugs who won't share their bug juice because of the drought.
• Youth theater, The Fort Mill Community Playhouse youth production of "Pollyanna" will be presetned at 7:30 p.m. July 10-12 and at 3 p.m. July 13, at the Banks Street theater. For more information, call 548-8102 or visit www.fortmillplayhouse.org.
• Puppet show, "Big Bad, Little Red, Pig Show" 1, 2:30 and 4 p.m. Tuesday, July 15, at the Fort Mill Public Library. Hilarious fun ensues as two classic children's stories are squished together.
• Help the Humane Society, of York County and have fun at the same time at golf tournament fundraiser that begins at noon Wednesday, July 16, at the Tega Cay Golf Club. Four-Person Captain's Choice (bring your own team). $90 entry fee includes 18 holes, cart, range balls and lunch. Prizes will be awarded for the tournament, closest to the pin and longest drive and door Prizes will be drawn. Hole Sponsors Available $75.
All proceeds will benefit the Humane Society of York County.
For more information, call Erik Baddeley at 547-0170.
Don't miss this:
• BacInTyme Coffee Café at 124 Confederate St., Fort Mill has live blues and jazz and more Friday and Saturday evenings and poetry readings 6-8 p.m. Tuesdays.