Don't Miss This:
Fall Festival and costume contest organized by the Fort Mill Downtown Association will be held at 5 p.m. on Halloween, Friday, Oct. 31, on Main Street in Fort Mill. The costume contest will be held at 6:30 p.m. All local businesses wishing to participate and/or donate prizes should call Keith Sandvoss or Diane Sykes at 802-4310.
• Halloween Scene, come to 7144 Michael Scott Crossing in Baxter Village on Halloween, Friday, Oct. 31, if you dare. See what spooky scene Allen and LouAnn Lamb created this year. Past themes include "Pirates of the Caribbean," "Frankenstein," "The Mummy" and "Phantom of the Opera."
Never miss a local story.
• Second Annual Pleasant Hill UMC Adult Church Prom, 7-11 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 1. Dancing and fellowship. $25. Call 548-4922.
• Pony rides, music, hot dogs and more at the His Barn fall festival 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 1. All free. At 1 p.m. former Carolina Panthers player Mark Rodenhauser will be demonstrating a bridless round pen sermon during which he uses the concepts of a trainer working with a horse to powerfully illustrate the lord working in and on us. His barn is located at 8737 Whippoorwill Lane, Indian Land. Visit www.thecornerstoneranch.com.
• "Last Chance Candidate Challenge," local candidates forum presented by Move Fort Mill Forward 10 a.m.-noon Saturday, Nov. 1, at the band stand in Confederate Park, Main Street, Fort Mill. Hear speeches and ask questions.
• Chili cook-off, Saturday, Nov. 1, sponsored by Girls on the Run and hosted by Bi-Lo on Hwy. 160 West, Fort Mill. Check in is 1-3 p.m. Public welcome at 3 p.m. Awards at 6 p.m. $5 to sample all entries. Register at Bi-lo, at the Leroy Springs Complex or visit www.gotrtricountysc.org.
• Learn about mental illness, 10 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 1, at the Leroy Springs Recreational Complex, 971 Tom Hall St., Fort Mill. For more information or to register, call Betsey O'Brien at 802-4484 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Internationally acclaimed Christian Folk singer/songwriter David LaMotte, will perform at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 1, at Unity Presbyterian Church in Fort Mill. Advance tickets are $7 for students and $10 for adults. Tickets can be purchased on-line at www.unityfortmill.org or checks can be made and mailed to Unity Presbyterian Church, attention "David LaMotte Tickets," at PO Box 1267, Fort Mill, SC 29716. Tickets purchased at the door fare $10 for students and $15 for adults. All proceeds will support the Catawba Care Coalition, Interfaith Hospitality Network and the Unity Presbyterian Church Youth mission trip to Honduras.
• Guided nature tour, 10 a.m.-noon Tuesday, Nov. 4. Meet at Leroy Springs Recreation Complex, 971 Tom Hall Street (just before Springfield Pkwy.), Fort Mill. Back parking lot by greenway trailhead. Led by Dottie Metzler, naturalist and environmental educator. Call 547-0234 or 548-7252.
• Get a portrait of your dog, and help the Humane Society of York County 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 8, at Bowzee Wowzee Pet Boarding, 116 Massey St., Fort Mill. Sponsored by Bowzee Wowzee and Fort Mill Photography. $20 each. Appointments needed. Call 802-2699. All proceeds go to HSYC.
• Philly Concert Series, presents Mercy's Well 7 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 9, at Philadelphia United Methodist Church, 1691 Highway 160 W., Fort Mill. Free, but a love offering will be taken for the performers. Call 548-0102.
• Rock the Pantry, live music event to benefit the Fort Mill Care Center, 5:30-7 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 16, at St. John's UMC, 130 Tom Hall St., Fort Mill. Several performers. Admission is $5 and two canned goods. Visit www.rockthepantry.com.