My husband and I have been working outside; He likes planting vegetables with me planting flowers and pulling weeds.
No matter how careful I try to be, I get the dreaded poison ivy. Normally I get it from touching leaves, but this time I am positive I got it from my dog. She was out in our wooded area and when she ran back in she was ready to play. Of course I put my hands on her coat and that was it.
It started with a small patch and it just keeps getting worse.
I don’t have a lot of luck doctoring myself, so I thought I would get a little help from my friends. Here are a few of the tips I got:
1. Campers use this: a cooled cup of coffee dabbed on the itch or coffee grounds. This beverage contains acids that act as anti-inflammatory agents, which will help soothe the itch.
2. Use antiperspirant containing aluminum chlorohydrate (Arrid Extra Dry is one), but it must be spray, not roll on or be a stick. This material reacts with urushiol, the principle irritant in poison/oak and ivy, and deactivates it.
3. My friend said her mother taught her to put some poison ivy on a piece of buttered bread and eat it. She never considered the possibility she might die, she said she ate it and has never had poison ivy again. I don’t think I’ll try this one.
I will struggle with my slow-going calamine lotion and I will itch for the rest of the summer.
Have a comment or column idea for Pat? Email her at email@example.com.