This Week• Bike and Pet Parade, 6:30 to 9 p.m. July 2 at Tega Cay Baptist Church, 1875 Gold Hill Road. Everyone is welcome. Call 548-2600.
• Fish fry, hosted by the the Tega Cay Lions 4:30-7:30 p.m. July 4 at the Glennon Community Center. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and younger. Call 369-3013 for advance tickets.
• Independence Day celebration, July 4, in Tega Cay 9 a.m.-10 p.m. includes a golf tournament, land and boat parades, canoe joust and ski show, and fireworks. For more information, email email@example.com.
• Living history plantation, Independence Day will be celebrated 10 a.m.-4 p.m. July 4 at Hightower Hall, the antebellum home of John Bratton Jr. at Brattonsville in McConnells. The day will feature 19th century style festivities such as music and dancing, a militia muster, and children’s military drills. Participate in the English folk game called Rounders, which is similar to baseball, or in the Game of Graces, also known as French Hoops. Civilian Archers Society will be demonstrating target archery. Admission is $6, adults; $5, seniors; $3, ages 4-17 and free to CHM members and children age 3 and younger. Admission is free to active duty military personnel and their families from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Go to chmuseums.org or call 803-684-2327.
Next Week• Cooking workshop, for kids July 8-10 at the York County Clemson Extension Service office for ages 5-10. The cost of this three-day workshop is $25. Kids will will learn to prepare and cook quick breads, yeast breads and egg dishes. Registration deadline is July 2. For more information, contact the Clemson Extension office at 803-684-9919 ext. 113 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Dodgeball, 6:30 to 9 p.m. July 9 at Tega Cay Baptist Church, 1875 Gold Hill Road. Everyone is welcome. Call 548-2600.
• Turfgrass Insects and Diseases, Clemson Extension Agent Paul Thompson will lead the session 11 a.m. July 11 at the Learning Center, 835 Edgemont Ave., Rock Hill. Friday in the Garden is a free public service of the Master Gardeners of York County, Clemson Extension Service and the Rock Hill Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department.
Coming Soon• ‘ Miracle in Mudville,’ the Summer Youth Production at the Fort Mill Community Playhouse July 11-20. Tickets $5-$12. Tickets may be purchased at Tega Cay Pharmacy, 729 Crossroads Plaza or Crossings on Main, 102 Academy St. or at fortmillplayhouse.org or call 548-8102.
• Casting call, everyone ages 16 and older is invited to auction for the Fort Mill Community Playhouse musical “The Spitfire Grill” 7-9 p.m. July 14 at the Playhouse, 615 Banks St., Fort Mill. Arrive by 8 p.m. Call-backs are scheduled July 15 if necessary and by invitation only. For more information, go to fortmillplayhouse.org or email email@example.com.
• Ultimate Frisbee, 6:30 to 9 p.m. July 16 at Tega Cay Baptist Church, 1875 Gold Hill Road. Everyone is welcome. Call 548-2600.
• The 2014 Rock Hill South Carolina Writer’s Workshop Intensive will be 9 a.m.-4 p.m. July 12 at Grace Lutheran Church, 426 Oakland Ave. Registration opens at 8:30 a.m. Cost is $25 for members and $20 for nonmembers. Lunch included. Call 980-253-7261 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Auditions, for the Exalt Vocal Talent Showcase will be held on July 19 in Fort Mill. Email email@example.com for details.
• Live music, Gump Fiction, 7 p.m. July 19, at Runde Park in Tega Cay. Free. No dogs or BYOB. Concessions for sale. For more information, go to tegacaysc.org.
Every Week• New exhibit, now open at the Fort Mill History Museum. Presented in conjunction with the South Carolina Historical Society, “The Shaping of South Carolina” details the disputes, politics and science surrounding the state’s boundary lines from colonial times to the present. The exhibit features original maps from the collection of the South Carolina Historical Society and the Springs-Close Family Archives, as well as quotations concerning the science of surveying from noted surveyor and Revolutionary hero Gen. William Moultrie. For more information, call 803-802-3646 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Rent a kayak, at the Anne Springs Close Greenway to take out on 28-acre Lake Haigler. $7 for a one-person kayak, or $10 for a tandem kayak for 30 minutes. To make a reservation, call 803-548-7252.
• The Fort Mill Farmers Market, is open 8 a.m.-1 p.m. every Saturday at the corner of Confederate and Monroe White streets.
• Bingo, hot food, at Fort Mill American Legion Post 43. Call 803-547-2414.
• Fort Mill VFW Monthly Breakfast, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. the second Sunday of each month Sunday in the VFW Hall, 1442 Harris Road, Fort Mill. Coffee, scrambled eggs, grits, sausage, bacon, hash browns, biscuits, fruit and hot cakes for $6. Open to the public and family-friendly.