Around 125,000 people are expected to attend Independence Day fireworks shows near Lake Wylie, the York County Sheriff’s Office says, so spectators should expect traffic delays of two hours or longer after the show has ended. Special traffic patterns will be in effect.
Drivers should expect delays near the Buster Boyd Bridge on S.C. 49 at the state line and at Carowinds Boulevard at Interstate 77.
Drivers should not call 911 to report traffic or congestion and law enforcement officers from different jurisdictions will be out “in force.”
The Sheriff’s Office issued the following traffic guidelines:
Buster Boyd Bridge area
• Traffic on Blucher Circle will be directed one way during this time – entering near T-Bones On the Lake restaurant and exiting at the Kangaroo/Marathon gas station.
Carowinds Boulevard/Interstate 77 (Exit 90)• Watch for overhead and portable message signs to for advice on traffic conditions.
• Motorists may encounter delays at Carowinds theme park.
• After fireworks displays at the theme park, motorists will be directed to specific lanes of travel on Avenue of the Carolinas.
• The two left lanes will turn onto Carowinds Boulevard toward I-77, with access to southbound or northbound travel on I-77. The far right lane will turn right onto Carowinds Boulevard toward N.C. 49 north.
• No U-turns will be permitted on Carowinds Boulevard.
• Do not stop in emergency lanes on I-77 to watch the fireworks.