This Week• Turfgrass Insects and Diseases, Clemson Extension Agent Paul Thompson will lead the session 11 a.m. July 11 at the Learning Center, 835 Edgemont Ave., Rock Hill. Friday in the Garden is a free public service of the Master Gardeners of York County, Clemson Extension Service and the Rock Hill Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department.
• ‘ Miracle in Mudville,’ the Summer Youth Production at the Fort Mill Community Playhouse July 11-20. Tickets $5-$12. Tickets may be purchased at Tega Cay Pharmacy, 729 Crossroads Plaza or Crossings on Main, 102 Academy St. or at fortmillplayhouse.org or call 548-8102.
• The 2014 Rock Hill South Carolina Writer’s Workshop Intensive will be 9 a.m.-4 p.m. July 12 at Grace Lutheran Church, 426 Oakland Ave. Registration opens at 8:30 a.m. Cost is $25 for members and $20 for nonmembers. Lunch included. Call 980-253-7261 or email email@example.com.
• Casting call, everyone ages 16 and older is invited to auction for the Fort Mill Community Playhouse musical “The Spitfire Grill” 7-9 p.m. July 14 at the Playhouse, 615 Banks St., Fort Mill. Arrive by 8 p.m. Call-backs are scheduled July 15 if necessary and by invitation only. For more information, go to fortmillplayhouse.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• ‘ Rumpelstiltskin,’ 1, 2:30 and 4 p.m. July 15. Porkchop Productions brings their fractured take on the famous tale with a miserly king who tries to figure out how to turn straw into gold to the Fort Mill Public Library in Baxter Village. Recommended for pre-K to fifth grade. For more information, call 547-4114 to register.
• ‘ Detox: Health Cleanse or Crisis,’ is the topic of a Girls Night Out presentation at 6:30 p.m. July 15 at the York County Library, 138 E. Black St., Rock Hill. Join nutritional therapy practitioner Carol Green as she explains how the elimination pathways of the body function, and the guidelines for safe detoxing. She will also share her remarkable experiences with heart health and how nutrition made an enormous difference in her health. Receive a Heart2Heart goody bag. Free and open to the public. To reserve a seat, call 803-981-5845
Next Week• Ultimate Frisbee, 6:30 to 9 p.m. July 16 at Tega Cay Baptist Church, 1875 Gold Hill Road. Everyone is welcome. Call 548-2600.
• Auditions, for the Exalt Vocal Talent Showcase will be held on July 19 in Fort Mill. Email email@example.com for details.
• Live music, Gump Fiction, 7 p.m. July 19, at Runde Park in Tega Cay. Free. No dogs or BYOB. Concessions for sale. For more information, go to tegacaysc.org.
• A Double Spirit Night for the Children’s Organ Transplant Association COTA in honor of Jordan Diggs, a Chester-area teen who needs a kidney transplant, will be 5 p.m. to closing July 17 at SweetFrog, 572 John Ross Parkway, and Fuel Pizza, 1910 Cinema Drive. The Rock Hill restaurants will donate 10 percent of the night’s proceeds to help with expenses.
• Bike Run and Family Day, sponsored by Cox Harley Davidson to raise money for Safe Passage, will be 10 a.m.-3 p.m. July 19. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. The ride begins and ends at Cox. Cost is $25 per rider and $10 per passenger. Food and T-shirt provided for riders.
Coming Soon• Live music, Matt Stratford, 7 p.m. Aug. 16, at Runde Park in Tega Cay. Free. No dogs or BYOB. Concessions for sale. For more information, go to tegacaysc.org.
Every Week• New exhibit, now open at the Fort Mill History Museum. Presented in conjunction with the South Carolina Historical Society, “The Shaping of South Carolina” details the disputes, politics and science surrounding the state’s boundary lines from colonial times to the present. The exhibit features original maps from the collection of the South Carolina Historical Society and the Springs-Close Family Archives, as well as quotations concerning the science of surveying from noted surveyor and Revolutionary hero Gen. William Moultrie. For more information, call 803-802-3646 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Rent a kayak, at the Anne Springs Close Greenway to take out on 28-acre Lake Haigler. $7 for a one-person kayak, or $10 for a tandem kayak for 30 minutes. To make a reservation, call 803-548-7252.
• The Fort Mill Farmers Market, is open 8 a.m.-1 p.m. every Saturday at the corner of Confederate and Monroe White streets.
• Bingo, hot food, at Fort Mill American Legion Post 43. Call 803-547-2414.
• Fort Mill VFW Monthly Breakfast, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. the second Sunday of each month Sunday in the VFW Hall, 1442 Harris Road, Fort Mill. Coffee, scrambled eggs, grits, sausage, bacon, hash browns, biscuits, fruit and hot cakes for $6. Open to the public and family-friendly.