• Boy Scout Troop 108 of Fort Mill celebrated its 50th birthday at Andrew Jackson State Park in Lancaster County.
• Fort Mill coach Steve Boyd and Indian Land coach Mike Pope welcomed their respective squads on the first day of football practice.
• A 16-year-old boy was shot in the stomach at close range with a 12-gauge shotgun at a home in Tega Cay. An 18-year-old was charged in the shooting.
• Joe Bonds was named Outstanding Superintendent and Terry Holiday was named Outstanding Tech Prep Principal by the South Carolina Department of Education.
This edition of The Times is missing.
• Coach Pete Reynolds announced that the Fort Mill High School football team would hold its preseason training camp at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base.
• Fort Mill’s School Board of Trustees voted to spend $319,000 for an extensive building program at George Fish School.
• Two men, Malcolm Pardee and George Conyers, were taken into custody in connection with the double robbery of Edwards Grocery at Grattan, Fort Mill Township.
• P. K. Sullivan, faithful employee of mill No. 1, Springs Cotton Mills, died suddenly at his home.
• Otis Hilton, grandson of night policeman N.P. Johnston, was shot and seriously wounded by W. F. Johnston, his second cousin.
• A force of men was engaged in erecting the 100,000 gallon water tank on the hilltop on Massey Street.
Compiled by Chip Heemsoth, a lifelong resident of Fort Mill.