▪ On Sept. 15, Oakridge Middle School seventh grade volleyball team won two sets at home against Banks Trail, 25-16 and 25-11. Kennedy Abbott found her serve. Kailee Long scored 10 points in a row off her serve.
▪ The eighth grade OMS volleyball team lost Sept. 15 to Banks Trails in two games, 4-25 and 18-25. The Golden Eagles saw strong hitting and blocking by Maggie Payne and Jordan Phillips.
▪ The eighth grade OMS football team lost its first game of the season Sept. 16 in overtime, 22-16. The Golden Eagles struck first when Drew Moore found Zion Robbins on a 60-yard touchdown pass on the opening drive of the game. Moore added the point after touchdown. Sullivan responded by marching it down the field and scoring on a pass play to tie the game. The next score came with 4 minutes remaining in the game when the Golden Eagles struck with Tay Cupe on a 30-yard run. Zion Robbins added the PAT, putting OMS up 16-8. Sullivan scored to tie the game with just over a minute to play. Oakridge almost scored on the final drive of regulation, but threw an interception in the end zone as time expired.
In overtime, the Golden Eagles took the ball first. On fourth down, Oakridge passed the ball, but the Sullivan defender made a nice break and came up with the interception. The Oakridge defense forced third down and long. The Sullivan quarterback was under pressure, but threw a great pass to a wide receiver, who dove into the corner of the end zone to end the game. Drew Moore, Zion Robbins and Tay Cupe ran hard for the Golden Eagles with the offensive line helping pave the way. The defense was led by Hayden Johnson, Drew Moore, Zion Robbins and Evan Enix – all making multiple plays on the night. Blackmon Huckabee had a one-handed interception in the end zone at the end of the first half for his second interception in two games.
▪ On Sept. 17, the OMS Golden Eagles eighth grade volleyball team rallied against the Yellow Jackets of Fort Mill Middle, but fell short losing in two games, 11-25 and 13-25, bringing the record to 2-2. The team played good defense.
▪ On Sept. 17, the Oakridge seventh grade Lady Golden Eagles volleyball team was overcome by small mistakes and lost to Fort Mill Middle in two games, 25-20 and 25-15. Amelia McCauley found her serve, and Abbie Welbourn hit the ball well from the front row. Alina Tomko made controlled passes from the back row.