Deputies: Suspects in Clover teen's death gave false statements, face drug charges

03/25/2014 8:25 PM

03/26/2014 7:45 AM

Three men have been charged with murder in the shooting death of a Clover teenager late Sunday, and the second victim shot that night is accused of obstructing justice after deputies say he gave false statements and tried to provide alibis for the others allegedly involved.

Authorities said on Tuesday that drugs were involved in the slaying, the third York County Sheriff’s deputies have investigated this year. But many questions about what led to the death of Brandon Davis, a 17-year-old former Clover High School student, remain unanswered as deputies have not yet release a motive.

Deputies on Monday charged Ezekiel James Lundquist, 21, Tevin Dye, 19, and Javeas Wesley Cohn, 20, with murder, criminal conspiracy, attempted murder and drugs possession in connection with the killing of Brandon Davis. A fourth man, Michael Lynn Mcafee, 22, was charged with obstruction of justice. Lundquist also was charged with obstruction of justice, and Mcafee faces additional charges of burglary, petty larceny and drugs possession. Cohn was additionally charged with possession of a weapon during a violent crime.

Lundquist, Dye and Cohn were being held Tuesday at the York County Detention Center without bond on the murder charges. Cohn, who had outstanding warrants for driving under suspension, was being held on a $1,305 bond on those charges. Mcafee, of Cherokee County, was being held on a more than $15,000 bond.

Deputies at about 11 p.m. Sunday were sent to the area between Colonial and Revere drives in the Glen at Clover mobile home community after receiving word about shots fired in the area, according to a Sheriff’s Office report. While on their way there, they learned that two shooting victims had gone to a mobile home on Gondola Lane, about a mile away.

When they arrived, they found Davis dead, the report states. On Monday, Jeffrey Wooten and Nick Fenske, who both live at the mobile home, told The Herald that Mcafee drove Davis to their house because he claimed to be afraid and said he did not know what else to do. By the time the men went outside to check on Davis, he was dead near his truck.

Investigators say the shooting happened at 764 Revere Road, which Sheriff’s documents show as Lundquist’s address.

Lundquist, the oldest of the three men charged with murder, also is accused of lying to investigators, giving them false statements in an effort to provide alibis for the others accused, according to arrest warrants. Deputies said he made those false statements on Monday when they interviewed him at his home.

Mcafee, who was shot once in the leg and taken to Piedmont Medical Center, is accused of making false statements to deputies while he was hospitalized, arrest warrants show. Those statements, according to authorities, created alibis for the other suspects.

Efforts to reach Davis’ family were unsuccessful Tuesday. The circumstances surrounding the shooting are unclear, but Wooten, who said he knows all the men involved, says they often hang out together.

“They’re all buddies,” he said, stressing that Mcafee was not part of their group. “(Davis) was definitely getting involved with some stuff he shouldn’t have been.”

Hours after Davis died, his family and friends remembered him as an avid baseball player and golfer. His grandfather, Mark Yukob, called him loving and a “pure ... pure man.”

None of those charged have previous drug offenses listed on their criminal records, and Davis had no adult criminal history. Records with the State Law Enforcement Division show that Cohn in 2012 was convicted of giving false information to police. The murder charges are the first on Dye’s record, documents show, and the obstruction of justice charge is the first on Mcafee’s record.

Three weeks ago, police arrested and charged Lundquist with driving under suspension, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana after they stopped him for driving a car with a non-functioning headlight on North Main Street, according to Clover Police documents. The smell of marijuana wafted through the car, police said, and they found Lundquist with a marijuana smoking device. Police learned his license had been suspended and found pot in the smoking device and a small amount of marijuana in a cup of tea.

Lundquist was scheduled to appear in a Clover municipal court on April 10 to face those charges, court records show.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service