Slain officers remembered at York County service
05/14/2014 9:38 PM
05/15/2014 11:55 AM
Law enforcement officers, their families and others from across York County came together Wednesday to remember the nine officers killed in the line of duty in the county since 1884.
The 19th Annual Police Honor and Memorial Service at First Baptist Church in Rock Hill – sponsored by the governing board of the county’s Multi-Jurisdictional Drug Enforcement Unit, the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 15 and the Sheriff’s Foundation of York County – also honored those who continue to put their lives on the line to protect the public.
Here are the officers who have been killed in the line of duty in York County, followed by their agencies and dates of death:• Kevin Cusack, Highway Patrol, March 27, 2010
• James Brent McCants, York County Sheriff’s Office, Sept. 25, 1992
• Steven Wayne Jordan, Rock Hill Police Department, Dec. 31, 1975
• William Singleton, Rock Hill Police Department, Nov. 9, 1968
• Garnett E. “Dick” Dabney, S.C. Alcohol Beverage Control, March 31, 1968
• Robert M. McFadden, Rock Hill Police Department, Nov. 3, 1933
• Elliott P. Harris, York County Police Department, July 17, 1932
• R.G. Johnston, Rock Hill Police Department, Jan. 18, 1906
• W.G. Durant, Fort Mill Police Department, Jan. 28, 1884
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.