A porch fire erupted at a Rock Hill apartment Monday morning after someone placed cigarette in a flower pot, police say.
A 40-year-old homeowner told police the patio was on fire at his Lavington Court residence. His friend had been smoking on the patio earlier and placed a used cigarette in a flower pot that contained a dried up plant, a Rock Hill Police report states.
Two hours later, the homeowner woke up to a room full of smoke. He saw a light emitting from the patio door.
He reported opening the door to his patio and seeing a large fire growing.
Never miss a local story.
He quickly grabbed a fire extinguisher and put the blaze out, then called for the fire department.
Officers noticed a small fire in the roof of the building and evacuated the resident from his home. The burning caused about $200 in damage.