Dog rescued from York County shelter saves couple in fire
11/19/2012 11:00 PM
11/20/2012 1:43 PM
Tank is only seven months old, but he knew something was wrong Sunday morning.
Tank did not use his youth or cold nose as an excuse to sit idly by. Tank, who himself was rescued months ago, padded and nosed into the bedroom of the couple who had adopted him.
Tank woke up Russell and Krystal Ewing at their Indian Trail, N.C., home, in time for Russell to find a fire raging in the laundry room. The couple escaped without being hurt because of Tank, the 68-pound dog who was rescued himself from the York County Animal Shelter just days before Tank would have been executed.
“He rescued us,” said Krystal Ewing, who lived in Rock Hill all her life until the past year, after she and Russell Ewing married. “Here it is Thanksgiving week, and we are thanking God for Tank the rescue dog who was rescued himself.”
The Ewings have insurance, Russell Ewing said, but what matters most is that the Ewings are alive to fix that house after the heroics of a dog that almost did not live to help anybody.
“We are sure thankful for Tank,” Russell Ewing said. “Tank is a rescuer.”
Tank was first rescued from the York County shelter by Rock Hill’s Kimberly Henson, who runs 2nd Chance, an animal rescue operation that finds homes for unwanted animals. Henson, who sends animals as far as New Jersey in the Pilots and Paws program, has known Krystal Ewing for almost 25 years. The Ewings took one look at Tank when Tank was 2 months old, and the boxer-mastiff mix who will grow to the size of a refrigerator with feet the size of boat oars immediately stole the Ewings’ hearts.
“We try to find good families for these dogs and there is no doubt that this is a family that loves Tank, Henson said. “And from his actions, it sure seems that Tank loves them.”
Krystal and Russell Ewing will be able to eat Thanksgiving turkey with family because of Tank the dog. Krystal lost almost all her clothes but she sure has a future, because of Tank the dog.
The Ewings also said they were thankful to volunteers from the Hemby Bridge Fire Department of Union County, N.C., who came to the house to help after the fire was found just after 8 a.m. Sunday. The fire was accidental and was confined to the laundry room, which has the furnace, water heater and washer-dryer in it, said Chris Yates, assistant chief of the Hemby Bridge Volunteer Fire Department.
The dog who had been rescued sure returned the favor, said Neal Speer, Union County, N.C., fire marshal.
Andrew Dys * 803-329-4065 * email@example.com
Join the Discussion
The Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.