While East Carolina was upsetting No. 17 Virginia Tech on Saturday in Blacksburg, a number of locals kept showing up on the television screen.
Brandon Williams made 14 tackles to lead East Carolina’s defense. The former Northwestern Trojan also made a tackle-for-loss, a half sack and a quarterback hurry in an active effort from his linebacker position.
Fort Mill’s Worth Gregory had another good day punting for the Pirates as he boomed eight punts for an average of 47.1 yards with a long of 60.
Nation Ford’s J.T. Boyd made his first college start for ECU, slotting in at right guard.
• Gerald Dixon started at defensive end for South Carolina during the Gamecocks’ 38-35 win over Georgia on Saturday and the former South Pointe Stallion made four tackles, including one for a loss and a sack. Gerald Dixon Jr. also made four tackles in the win for the Gamecocks. South Pointe’s Landon Ard continued his strong-legged performances this season, kicking three of his six kickoffs into the end zone for a touchback.
• No. 3/4 Oklahoma’s defense proved too much for Tennessee and former Northwestern Trojan Justin Worley on Saturday in a 34-10 loss. Worley completed 21 of 44 passes for 201 yards and a touchdown, but was sacked five times and threw a pair of interceptions. The Vols are back in action in two weekends when they play at Georgia.
• South Pointe’s Zeek Rodney finished with a single solo tackle for the third straight game for the Wake Forest Demon Deacons, which fell 36-24 to Utah State on Saturday.
• South Pointe alum Anthony Johnson made four catches for 102 yards and a touchdown during Butler Community College’s 35-26 loss to fellow Kansas junior college football power Hutchinson Community College. Johnson’s 33-yard TD catch in the fourth quarter pulled the Grizzlies to within three of their rivals at 29-26, but Hutchinson scored late to clinch the win.
Johnson wasn’t the only local playing; York’s Chad Hill made three tackles, including one for a loss, and forced a fumble for the Butler defense.
• Tony Godbolt, from Fort Mill, made three tackles for North Greenville, as well as an interception he returned for 25 yards in the Crusaders’ 44-28 loss to Wofford.
• Former York Cougar Andre Foulks only made one tackle in Wingate’s 30-0 win over St. Augustine’s, but he added a half sack and an interception in the win.
• York’s Ryan Moore picked up five yards on one carry in Youngstown State’s 44-13 win over Butler University.
• Great Falls’ Isaiah Lynn made eight tackles, including one for a loss and a sack, to help Presbyterian to a 10-7 upset of FCS No. 12 team Furman on Saturday. Indian Land’s Breyon Williams added a tackle.
• Northwestern’s Keon Stowers made four tackles in his return to the Carolinas, but the Kansas Jayhawks got whacked 41-3 in Durham by the Duke Blue Devils. Kansas returns to action this week at home against Central Michigan.
• South Pointe’s Eric Westbrook made a tackle in Campbell’s 34-10 loss to Charleston Southern last Thursday.
• Westminster Catawba’s Nate Casey started for Davidson Saturday, making three tackles, including one for a loss, but couldn’t help the Wildcats prevent a 52-24 loss to VMI.
• Rock Hill High School’s Tyrell Curry made five tackles to help 3-0 Eastern Kentucky to a 55-13 win over Morehead State.
• Chester’s Ariana McCree made three tackles, including one for a five-yard loss, but Jackson State fell to Tennessee State 35-7, the Tigers’ first loss of the season.
• Great Falls’ Alstevis Squirewell tallied nine tackles, including four for a loss, in Newberry’s 70-20 blowout of Limestone. York’s Corey Dover added three tackles for the Wolves.