Northwestern’s Brandon Williams took an interception back 37 yards for a touchdown as East Carolina beat Tulsa 49-32
Williams, who has 96 tackles in 11 games this season, made eight stops in the win for the Pirates. Fort Mill’s Worth Gregory punted three times for an average of 55.5 yards, but did have one blocked in the first quarter, which Tulsa fell on in the end zone for a touchdown. Nation Ford’s J.T. Boyd started at right guard for 8-3 ECU, which completes its regular season Thursday against Central Florida.
• Clemson snapped its losing streak against South Carolina with a 35-17 victory on Saturday. Clemson’s offensive line, led by former Chester Cyclone Kalon Davis at right tackle, didn’t allow a sack and paved the way for the Tigers to pick up 225 yards on 40 rushing attempts. Former Northwestern Trojan Rod Byers also appeared for the Tigers.
Never miss a local story.
Northwestern’s Gerald Dixon Jr., made three tackles for the Gamecocks, while former South Pointe Stallion Gerald Dixon added two. South Pointe’s Landon Ard kicked off four times with two touchbacks.
• South Pointe’s Montay Crockett had a kickoff return for 30 yards and lost five yards on his only carry for Georgia Southern, but the Eagles beat Louisiana-Monroe 22-16 to clinch the Sun Belt Conference championship.
• Appalachian State won its sixth straight game to finish the regular season 7-5. York’s Beau Nunn started at right tackle for the Mountaineers, his seventh consecutive start and 10th in 12 games as a redshirt freshman.
• Northwestern’s Keon Stowers made three tackles and broke up a pass in his last college football game for the Kansas Jayhawks, a 51-13 loss to Kansas State.
• Pittsburg State (Kans.) fell to undefeated Minnesota State-Mankato in the second round of the NCAA Division II football playoffs 24-21 Saturday. Rock Hill’s Jamal Tyler ran the ball five times for 39 yards and also returned a pair of kickoffs for a combined 34 yards during the Gorillas’ loss.