One stab at today's first round of the NFL Draft.
1. Miami, T, Jake Long, Michigan
Already signed. You always love knowing you've got the first one right.
2. St. Louis, DE, Chris Long, Virginia
Glenn Dorsey's the better player, but Long's a better fit. This could be a mistake.
3. Atlanta, DT, Glenn Dorsey, LSU
They'll get good offers for this, and may find them too good to pass up.
4. Oakland, RB, Darren McFadden, Arkansas
Not the biggest need, but provides the kind of flash the old man loves.
5. Kansas City, DE-OLB, Vernon Gholston, Ohio State
They need pass rush after trading Jared Allen, and he can provide it.
6. N.Y. Jets, QB, Matt Ryan, Boston College
Considered trading up to get him, but he falls in their laps instead.
7. New England, DT, Sedrick Ellis, Southern Cal
I think this kid ends up in this spot, if not with this team. The key trade spot.
8. Baltimore, CB, Leodis McKelvin, Troy
They need a QB too, but can get one later. For now, they add a top corner to the D.
9. Cincinnati, RB, Jonathan Stewart, Oregon
Add to the offense, since Chad Johnson keeps subtracting with his mouth.
10. New Orleans, LB, Keith Rivers, Southern Cal
If they could put this guy next to a healthy Dan Morgan and Jonathan Vilma, it would be the new Dome Patrol.
11. Buffalo, WR, Devin Thomas, Michigan State
The offense needs a little pop, and they go for the first wideout to provide it.
12. Denver, G/T, Branden Albert, Virginia
Troubling for the Panthers since they have such similar needs.
13. Carolina, T, Ryan Clady, Boise State
Dream scenario if he falls in their laps. If he doesn't, look for RB, DE or trade back.
14. Chicago, RB, Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
Admitting Cedric Benson's a bust is hard, but time to move on with local hero.
15. Detroit, DE, Derrick Harvey, Florida
It's amazing. The GM's a proven bonehead, but they have some good parts on D.
16. Arizona, CB, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State
Need another cover man since they're moving Antrel Rolle to safety.
17. Kansas City, T, Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh
They start the rebuilding with a big block with lots of potential.
18. Houston, T, Chris Williams, Vanderbilt
Somewhere in New York, David Carr just smacked himself in the forehead.
19. Philadelphia, DE, Phillip Merling, Clemson
Trying to add a playmaking WR, but there's not value at this spot.
20. Tampa Bay, QB, Brian Brohm, Louisville
When they realized Jake Plummer wasn't coming, they panicked, running short on passers.
21. Washington, WR, Limas Sweed, Texas
Of course, they could freak out, not knowing what to do with a draft pick.
22. Dallas, RB, Felix Jones, Arkansas
Would make a much better complement to Marion Barber than Julius Jones was.
23. Pittsburgh, T, Gosder Cherilus, Boston College
Just a hunch, but he might be the best pro of this first-round tackle class.
24. Tennessee, CB, Mike Jenkins, South Florida
He's no Pacman, and the Titans thank their stars for that.
25. Seattle, DT, Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina
Came out of nowhere as a senior, but have to worry he turns into Ryan Sims.
26. Jacksonville, DE, Quentin Groves, Auburn
Jags need a little pass-rush, and he's the best available to provide it at this point.
27. San Diego, WR, DeSean Jackson, California
Can be an explosive playmaker to add to an already solid offense.
28. Dallas, DE, Calais Campbell, Miami
His size makes him a good projection to a 3-4 defense.
29. San Francisco, LB, Jerod Mayo, Tennessee
Put another playmaker back there with Patrick Willis and they could go places.
30. Green Bay, QB, Chad Henne, Michigan
Maybe if they do this, Brett Favre will stay retired -- please.
31. N.Y. Giants, LB, Dan Connor, Penn State
Champs start to rebuild spot picked over in free agency.