The N.C. House on Tuesday unanimously passed a bill broadening and clarifying laws on carbon monoxide alerts in hotels and other lodgings.
Passed 114-0, the bill mirrors a measure passed last month by the Senate and comes as a response to last year’s deaths at a Boone hotel.
Like the Senate measure, the bill would require carbon monoxide alarms, not just detectors, near heaters, appliances and fireplaces that burn combustion fuels. It applies to extended-stay tourist homes, bed and breakfast properties, as well as hotels.
The bill would rewrite portions of a law enacted last year after three people died of carbon monoxide poisoning at the Best Western in Boone. Jim Morrill
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.