Serving the Bethel and Lake Wylie communities
• We will be accepting registrations for football and cheerleading at the Crowders Creek Carnival 10 a.m.-2 p.m. April 25 at the LWAA tent. This will be for new and returning football players and cheerleaders. Registration forms are available online at lwsports.org. Uniforms and equipment will be on display and preseason calendars will be given out. There is no draft in Pop Warner, so all teams will be assigned on a firs-come basis. For more information, e-mail Kim Pennington at firstname.lastname@example.org. More sign up dates will follow.
• If you are interested in coaching football or cheerleading, please fill out the online coach's application online. A series of meetings will be held in the next few weeks to review what is new for 2009 and welcome new coaches coming from Clover and Xtreme.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Mark your calendars for the LWAA's second annual golf tournament May 29 at River Hills Country Club. Sponsors and teams are being accepted. Information is available online. Only 25 teams will be accepted.
• LWAA Little League is registering for boys aged 13 to 15 for junior and senior league baseball teams. Practices begin mid-April, and games begin in early May. Practices will be held at Clover School District facilities, and games will be played against the top teams from South Carolina. The season will culminate in July with the All-Star series, which could lead to national competition. Register online or call 803-389-8176.
• Baseball Game results for March 31
Mets 10, Braves 1. Garrett Martin and Aman Patel scored two runs each for the Braves. Chris Carnes and Ethan Zazzaro lead the Mets' pitching effort. Logan John McElvenny had a strong game at the plate for the Braves and Evan Johnson pitched two solid innings for the Braves.
CK Contracting Tigers 9, Barnes Grading Pirates 2. Tigers had great pitching from Jackson McDowell and were lead at the plate by Jacob Ficarella who scored 2 runs and Colton Barnes who had a home run. Pirates had strong hitting from Anthony Farmer and Dylan Dunlap.
• Baseball Game results for April 4
Giants 14, Pirates 12. Pitchers for both teams struggled to find the strike zone, walking a combined total of 39 batters in 5_ innings of play. The Giants combined for 10 hits in the game, with Taylor Foster getting 3 hits in 4 trips to the plate, and Ryan Shannon getting two hits. The Pirates' batters racked up a total of 7 hits, with Dylan Dunlap and Jake Barton getting 2 hits each.
• Ck Tigers 9, State Farm Mets 8. Blake Watson of the Tigers pitched well and drove in the winning run in the bottom of the sixth inning. Jacob Ficarella added two hits for the tigers. Chris Carnes pitched a strong game for the Mets backed up by the excellent defense of JT Killen. Zack Conrad had two runs scored.
• Upcoming dates:
April 25: Football and cheerleading sign-ups at Crowders Creek Spring Carnival
May 23: End Of Season Party for all spring sports at Knights Stadium with a tail gate party and watching the game.
June 8-12: LWAA/ Clover High School baseball camp
We are always looking for continued support. We are still seeking a storage/office building. If you have or know someone who has some property, please contact us. If you would like to donate money, goods or services, call 803-831-9298. To volunteer, go to eteamz.com/lwaa for the form and mail to LWAA, P.O. Box 5299, Lake Wylie, SC 29710.