TEGA CAY -- The peninsula city may be growing, but it's still small enough that word gets around quick.
When 70 residents all became sick with the same food poison-like symptoms, it didn't take long before a possible connection was made to the Tega Cay Volunteer Fire Department's annual barbecue fundraiser, held this year on Sunday, March 30. The State Department of Health and Environmental Control believes the food is contaminated and urges anyone who still has some --even if it's stashed in a freezer -- to throw it away.
DHEC spokesman Adam Myrick said Monday investigators are still waiting for lab results on tests done of samples from the barbecue.
"Maybe in the next few days or so, we'll know something," he said.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Those who became sick after eating food served at the barbecue, including three people who were hospitalized, reported the same symptoms, mostly intense stomach cramps and diarrhea. The fire department served more than 2,500 plates officials said. Both pork and chicken were served, but Myrick said DHEC is looking more at the pork as a culprit.
Tega Cay Fire Chief Scott Szymanski said the meat was purchased from US Food Service in Fort Mill, but DHEC doesn't think the company is the source of the contamination.
"We have no reason to believe the problem was with the distributor," Myrick said. "We are focusing on the handling and preparation of the food in advance of the barbecue. One of the food handlers could have been sick. A lot of it depends on the cultures growing in a lab."
One hospitalized barbecue participant had been released by Thursday morning and none were in critical condition, Myrick said.
"It's usually those who have weakened immune systems or some other chronic condition who have to go into the hospital," Myrick said.
"We're working with DHEC to find out if it was a vendor, something that happened in the processing or from a handler," the recently-elected Szymanski said. He estimated that "between cooks, people serving, probably 40 to 50 people" came in contact with the food before it made it into the hands of consumers. DHEC was given a list of their names and contact information.
The Herald contributed to this report.