Latest News

Rock Hill mom accused of using son to steal charity jar from store

A Rock Hill woman is accused of using her 11-year-old son to steal a charity jar of money from a Clover convenience store.

The 39-year-old woman was charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor and larceny earlier this week after police say she stole the charity jar from the counter of Quick-E-Mart in Clover.

The woman and her son's theft were captured on video in the Main Street store just before 9:30 p.m. April 30. The boy asked the clerk to get something from behind the counter.

When the clerk turned around, the woman took the jar of money, put it under her coat and walked out of the store, according to a Clover Police report. Mother and son then fled in a Chevrolet Impala.

A couple days later, an officer recognized the vehicle and the boy inside from the surveillance video, and pulled the car over. The woman driving the car looked the same as the one who stole the charity jar, said Clover Police Capt. David Dover.

The woman, who is not being named as to protect the identity of her child, admitted she took the jar, which contained nearly $40. She told police she was desperate for money, the report states.

The collection was for another woman who needs money, a friend said.

Kim Persaud said the jar was collecting money for an employee of the Quick-E-Mart who still struggles to walk while recovering from an infection in her legs that had her hospitalized.

"She can't get any help," she said of her longtime friend, Connie Ashley of Clover. "We were trying to collect money to help her with her bills."

Ashley is without health insurance, Persaud said, and she nearly lost her legs from an infection that followed a scratch from a dog. Ashley is recovering at home but unable to work. She spends nearly $400 a week in bandages alone, Persaud said. The donations were mostly from people who knew Ashley from the store.

The woman who is accused of stealing the money was arrested, and her child was turned over to a family member. The woman has been released from the detention center on $3,400 bond, a jail spokeswoman said.