Rock Hill Herald Logo

Lake Wylie DUI suspect's Facebook photos prompt limits | The Herald

×
  • E-edition
  • Home
  • Customer Service
  • Mobile & Apps
  • Newsletters
  • Archives

    • All News
    • Local News
    • Local Traffic Cam
    • State News
    • Business
    • Education
    • NIE
    • Crime
    • More News
    • Andrew Dys
    • Nation/World
    • Politics/Government
    • Weird News
    • Databases
    • Down Home Magazine
    • Physicians Directory
    • Fort Mill Times
    • Fort Mill Times Sports
    • Submit a News Tip
    • Submit a Letter to the Editor
    • All Sports
    • Panthers
    • College
    • Winthrop
    • High School
    • High School Football
    • Auto Racing
    • Politics
    • Elections
  • Obituaries
    • All Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Letters to the Editor
    • Submit a Letter
    • To the Contrary
    • James Werrell
    • Palmetto Opinion
    • All Living
    • Community
    • Weddings
    • Engagements
    • Anniversaries
    • Births
    • Religion
    • Family
    • Home & Garden
    • Entertainment
    • All Entertainment
    • Books
    • Calendar
    • Movies
    • Music
    • Puzzles & Games
    • Rewards
    • Horoscopes

  • Legals
  • Cars
  • Jobs
  • Moonlighting
  • Virtual Career Fair
  • Homes
  • Classifieds

Latest News

Lake Wylie DUI suspect's Facebook photos prompt limits

By Kimberly Dick - kdick@heraldonline.com

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 11, 2010 12:00 AM

Photos posted on Facebook of a Lake Wylie man awaiting trial on charges related to a fatal drunken driving crash led to stiffer bond conditions - including an order not to drink.

The family of 20-year-old Travis James Pettus scoured Facebook for pictures of the Clover man after his November 2008 death in a crash on Ridge Road. His parents, David and Evelyn Pettus, said they were "heartbroken" by what they found - pictures of Jason Isbell, the accused driver, out of state on spring break with alcohol.

Pettus' parents said when they saw photos of the man who police say had a blood-alcohol level of 0.176 - more than double the legal limit - after the crash that killed their son, they feared Isbell, would drive drunk again.

"He's become a danger to the community again because he's going out drinking and doing the same behaviors that led to the crash," 16th Circuit Deputy Solicitor Willy Thompson said in a York County court hearing Thursday.

SIGN UP

$20 for 365 Days of Unlimited Digital Access

Last chance to take advantage of our best offer of the year! Act now!

SUBSCRIBE NOW

#ReadLocal

Isbell, 21, faces charges of felony driving under the influence resulting in death and reckless homicide in connection with the deadly crash after a Halloween party on Nov. 1, 2008. Isbell, who could face 40 years in prison, was charged last year after being hospitalized with crash-related injuries.

Isbell had been released on a $100,000 personal recognizance bond while waiting for a trial scheduled for this summer. Thompson said Isbell's injuries played a part in the original bond.

At a hearing Thursday morning, Judge John Hayes modified Isbell's bond to $100,000 cash/surety that includes house arrest with electronic GPS monitoring, and an order not to drink or leave the state.

The crash happened as Isbell traveled east in a 1997 Jeep Cherokee along Ridge Road near Clover. The SUV ran off the right side of the road, struck some trees and overturned, according to the S.C. Highway Patrol.

Travis Pettus was a passenger in that vehicle. His father said Pettus had just graduated from a technical college with a degree in automotive work and loved working on cars.

"Every time I saw him, he had a wrench in one hand and a rag in the other," David Pettus said.

Thompson presented Hayes with photos from Facebook, a social networking website, which range from pictures of Isbell in a bar with a beer in his hand before he turned 21 and more recent images of a spring break trip to Tennessee.

After the Pettus family brought the earlier photos to Thompson's attention, he said he discussed the behavior with Isbell's attorney. The family brought up the Facebook photos again when a number of new photos from the Tennessee trip surfaced. Thompson described one photo that showed Isbell with a case of beer as the suspect was obviously on vacation and drinking.

"For the victim's family, this has been a nightmare," he said. "He's flaunting the violations of his bond conditions." Those conditions include not leaving the state and maintaining good behavior.

Pettus' parents said they're pleased by the judge's order to have Isbell monitored.

  Comments  

Videos

Winthrop’s Nych Smith explains why he stayed in Rock Hill this past offseason

Bobby Carroll was asked to assemble a Youth Shrine Bowl coaching staff

View More Video

Trending Stories

Basic training deaths are rare in the Army

November 18, 2008 12:31 AM

Monster or misunderstood? Teen who burned baby brother pleads guilty but claims he tried to save him

February 09, 2016 08:38 PM

SC’s Lindsey Graham shares details of his personal life

June 12, 2015 11:16 PM

Rock Hill teen pleads guilty to setting fire that killed 14-month-old brother

February 09, 2016 12:22 PM

York SC mom used meth with underage daughter while child went hungry, cops say

October 09, 2018 03:39 PM

Read Next

Politics & Government

New laws in the New Year: March primaries, new judicial districts, no more soy ‘milk’

By Carli Brosseau and

John Murawksi

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 30, 2018 02:53 PM

In the New Year, 11 new laws will take effect in North Carolina. Changes include a plan to make sure that soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk and other plant-based products don’t use the word “milk” on consumer labels.

KEEP READING

$20 for 365 Days of Unlimited Digital Access

#ReadLocal

Last chance to take advantage of our best offer of the year! Act now!

SUBSCRIBE NOW

MORE LATEST NEWS

Escaped lion kills 22-year-old worker at NC preserve before being shot, officials say

Latest News

Escaped lion kills 22-year-old worker at NC preserve before being shot, officials say

December 30, 2018 03:46 PM
Still need New Year’s plans? Here are four ways to party in the York County region

Local

Still need New Year’s plans? Here are four ways to party in the York County region

December 30, 2018 02:16 PM
High school roundup: could Fort Mill and Nation Ford teams win holiday tournaments?

High School Sports

High school roundup: could Fort Mill and Nation Ford teams win holiday tournaments?

December 30, 2018 10:52 AM
Facebook apologizes for banning evangelist Franklin Graham for 24 hours

North Carolina

Facebook apologizes for banning evangelist Franklin Graham for 24 hours

December 29, 2018 05:12 PM
Panthers’ fan who never saw a game in person wins lottery prize for 2019 suite for 12

Latest News

Panthers’ fan who never saw a game in person wins lottery prize for 2019 suite for 12

December 29, 2018 06:43 PM
As New Year’s Eve approaches, SC ranks 2nd in most drunk driving deaths, report shows

South Carolina

As New Year’s Eve approaches, SC ranks 2nd in most drunk driving deaths, report shows

December 29, 2018 10:24 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

The Herald App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Start a Subscription
  • Customer Service
  • eEdition
  • Vacation Hold
  • Pay Your Bill
  • Rewards
Learn More
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Newsletters
  • News in Education
  • Archives
Advertising
  • Advertising Information
  • Place Obituary, Celebration
  • Place Classified, Legal
  • Local Deals
Copyright
Commenting Policy
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story