Latest News

Teen pleads guilty in haunted trail shooting, killing at park

A 17-year-old admitted Thursday that he killed one man and shot two others during separate York County robberies in October 2010.

One of the victims was wounded at a popular Halloween "haunted trail" near Interstate 77.

Brandon Alex Davis of Rock Hill pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter, three counts of attempted murder, two counts of armed robbery, two counts of possession of a weapon during a violent crime and criminal conspiracy.

Sentencing was deferred until later this month, although no date was set.

Davis faces up to 30 years in prison for each of the attempted murder and armed robbery charges.

The charges stem from two incidents.

On Oct. 16, 2010, Davis and three others stole $1,500 in a cash box from the "Trail of Terror" on Tuckaway Road off S.C. 901, about three miles from Interstate 77.

The robber opened fire near the trail's entrance, causing 20 to 30 people waiting in line to scatter.

As a scramble ensued, the man jumped into a waiting car and sped away.

The ticket collector was shot in the arm. The robber also shot at another trail employee, who returned fire.

Davis, 16 at the time, and three other teens were charged less than two weeks later.

Police say that three days after the haunted trail shooting, Davis requested a ride from 23-year-old Anthony Whitlock. Whitlock and his uncle, Thomas Whitlock Jr., picked Davis up at Friedheim Park in Rock Hill, near the intersection of Baker Street and Orr Drive.

Anthony Whitlock was shot in the back of the head, and Thomas Whitlock, 42 at the time, was forced to search his nephew's pockets for cash. Thomas Whitlock was then shot in the shoulder.

The younger Whitlock died.

After Davis was charged in the haunted trail shooting, Thomas Whitlock identified the teen as his nephew's killer. Cellphone records presented by 16th Circuit Solicitor Kevin Brackett at an April bond hearing showed Davis called Anthony Whitlock just before the shootings.

Davis' criminal history also was presented during the April bond hearing.

At 10, Davis was caught peeking into a girls' locker room. When one of the girls confronted him, he allegedly threw her to the ground and began yelling at her and kicking her. He faced an assault and battery charge from the incident.

In another incident, Davis was accused of breaking into a neighbor's home and stealing some items because "he needed probation money."