HIV testing planned Wednesday in Lancaster
The Catawba Care Coalition will host a special HIV testing event from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday at Faith, Hope and Victory Church, 202 S. Gregory St., Lancaster.
Refreshments and free prizes will be given to those who get tested. CCC also will provide free walk-in HIV testing from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. today, Tuesday and Thursday at the office, 1151 Camden Ave., Rock Hill.
Wednesday is National HIV Testing Day, a national mobilization effort designed to encourage everyone to take pride in their life and get tested. Today, more than 1 million persons are living with HIV in the U.S. About 1/4 of those with HIV have not yet been diagnosed and are unaware. HIV/AIDS has become one of the deadliest epidemics in human history, killing more than 25 million people around the world, including more than 500,000 Americans.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Herald
Catawba Care Coalition is a nonprofit organization in Rock Hill that provides medical and support services to those living with HIV/AIDS and educates the community to prevent the spread of HIV. For more details, call 909-6363, ext. 234.
Disabilities board will meet Thursday
The York County Board of Disabilities and Special Needs will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday in the administration building, 7900 Park Place Road in the East York Industrial Park off S.C. 5 in York. For details, call 628-5999.
Red Cross blood drives planned in Rock Hill, York
The American Red Cross will host the following area blood drives:
• 2:30 to 7 p.m. June 29, Best Buy, 1775 Chamberside Drive, Rock Hill.
• 2:30 to 7 p.m. July 5, St. John's United Methodist Church, 103 Tom Hall St., Fort Mill.
If you have a substance problem, there's help from local groups
The following substance abuse-related groups will meet:
• Reformers Unanimous, an international faith-based addictions program, will meet from 7 to 9 p.m. Fridays at Rock Hill Independent Baptist Church in the Winthrop Commons Shopping Center, 725 Cherry Road, Rock Hill. The entrance and parking are at the rear. For details, call 327-6690 or visit www.reformu.com.
• Nicotine Anonymous, a 12-step program for smokers and chewers, meets from 6:45 to 7:45 p.m. Fridays at The Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill. For details, call (803) 675-6002.
• Celebrate Recovery, a national Christian 12-step program, meets at 6:30 p.m. Mondays at York Baptist Association, 434 Museum Road, Rock Hill. For details, call 627-0594 or visit www.golifeway.com/CR.
• For Al-Anon/Alateen meetings in York, Chester and Lancaster counties, call 1-800-334-2666 or visit www.sc-alanon-alateen.org.