HIV testing planned Wednesday in Lancaster
The Catawba Care Coalition will host a special HIV testing event from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday at Faith, Hope and Victory Church, 202 S. Gregory St., Lancaster.
Refreshments and free prizes will be given to those who get tested. CCC also will provide free walk-in HIV testing from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. today, Tuesday and Thursday at the office, 1151 Camden Ave., Rock Hill.
Wednesday is National HIV Testing Day, a national mobilization effort designed to encourage everyone to take pride in their life and get tested. Today, more than 1 million persons are living with HIV in the U.S. About 1/4 of those with HIV have not yet been diagnosed and are unaware. HIV/AIDS has become one of the deadliest epidemics in human history, killing more than 25 million people around the world, including more than 500,000 Americans.
Catawba Care Coalition is a nonprofit organization in Rock Hill that provides medical and support services to those living with HIV/AIDS and educates the community to prevent the spread of HIV. For more details, call 909-6363, ext. 234.
Disabilities board will meet Thursday
The York County Board of Disabilities and Special Needs will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday in the administration building, 7900 Park Place Road in the East York Industrial Park off S.C. 5 in York. For details, call 628-5999.
Red Cross blood drives planned in Rock Hill, York
The American Red Cross will host the following area blood drives:
• 2:30 to 7 p.m. June 29, Best Buy, 1775 Chamberside Drive, Rock Hill.
• 2:30 to 7 p.m. July 5, St. John's United Methodist Church, 103 Tom Hall St., Fort Mill.
If you have a substance problem, there's help from local groups
The following substance abuse-related groups will meet:
• Reformers Unanimous, an international faith-based addictions program, will meet from 7 to 9 p.m. Fridays at Rock Hill Independent Baptist Church in the Winthrop Commons Shopping Center, 725 Cherry Road, Rock Hill. The entrance and parking are at the rear. For details, call 327-6690 or visit www.reformu.com.
• Nicotine Anonymous, a 12-step program for smokers and chewers, meets from 6:45 to 7:45 p.m. Fridays at The Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill. For details, call (803) 675-6002.
• Celebrate Recovery, a national Christian 12-step program, meets at 6:30 p.m. Mondays at York Baptist Association, 434 Museum Road, Rock Hill. For details, call 627-0594 or visit www.golifeway.com/CR.
• For Al-Anon/Alateen meetings in York, Chester and Lancaster counties, call 1-800-334-2666 or visit www.sc-alanon-alateen.org.