Zeta Amica Auxiliary of Delta Xi Zeta Sorority Inc. recently held its annual Mr. and Miss Amicae fundraising pageant at Hermon Presbyterian Church in Rock Hill.
The following were crowned:
• Cierra Chardé McMoore, crowned Miss Amicae, is the daughter of Vincent McMoore and Howard and Tinika Norman. She was sponsored by Amica Gloria M. Roseboro. Cierra attends Finley Road Elementary School in Rock Hill.
• Stephanie Page Anderson, first runner-up Miss Amicae, is the daughter of Stevie and Margaret Anderson. She was sponsored by Amica Mary Thompson. Stephanie attends Ebenezer Avenue Elementary School in Rock Hill.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Herald
• Eliza Sturdivant, second runner-up Miss Amicae, is the daughter of Gerard and Wanda Sturdivant. She was sponsored by Amica Johnnie Chisholm. Eliza attends Belleview Elementary School in Rock Hill.
• Charles Allen Mekhi Gaither, crowned Mr. Amicae, is the son of Antwain Burris and Barvette Gaither. He was sponsored by his grandmother, Amica Beatrice Gaither. Charles attends Sunset Park Elementary School in Rock Hill.
• Jordan LeMar Sloan, first runner-up Mr. Amicae, is the son of Walter L. and Pamela M. Sloan. He was sponsored by Amica Essie Watson. Jordan attends Oakdale Elementary School in Rock Hill.
• Shawn Vanderpool, second runner-up Mr. Amicae, is the son of Shawn and Tonya Vanderpool. He was sponsored by Amica Pearline Brown. Shawn attends Ebinport Elementary School in Rock Hill.
Proceeds will support the Amica scholarship fund and other community projects.
Friends of the library recognizes volunteers
The Friends of the York County Library recognized about 50 volunteers who contributed more than 1,000 hours to York County libraries this year at a reception last month at the City Club of Rock Hill.
Michael Simmons received the Joann Woods McMaster Volunteer Award for 2007 for volunteering with the Friends of the York County Library. He also has served for the two years on the York County Library Board of Trustees, which he chairs.
The award was named to honor McMaster for founding the Friends of the York County Library and serving as its first president in 1975.
Friends of the York County Library supports all York County libraries through fundraising and advocacy. It sponsors the annual vacation reading program for area children at all York County libraries and other library projects. For details, call 981-5837 or visit www.yclibrary.org.
Tega Cay woman takes first in writing contest
Jean Sharpe of Tega Cay was awarded the first-place prize in the Hard Times Contest of the Writers Workshop of Asheville, N.C. The workshop is soliciting entries for its 19th annual Memoirs Contest. Memoirs of 5,000 words or less may be submitted by Nov. 30. For details, e-mail email@example.com.
Carolyn Petroski named Parkinson coordinator
The Parkinson Association of the Carolinas named Carolyn Petroski as coordinator for the Tri-County Parkinson Association branch that serves York, Lancaster and Chester counties.
Petroski has a background in education and nonprofit management and has experience as a caregiver.
Grants from the J. Marion Sims Foundation and the Springs Close Foundation make it possible for the association to implement its program in the tri-county area.
Its mission is to advocate for better therapies and ultimately a cure to provide support, education and referrals to Parkinson's disease patients, their families and caregivers.
For details, visit www.parkinsonassociation.org or call 1-866-903-7275.
For details on the Tri-County branch program, call (704) 248-3714.