'Tis the season to visit some York and Clover homes that will be on parade this weekend, decked in festive attire.
The 2007 Christmas in Olde York Historic Home Tour, presented by the Yorkville Historical Society, will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Saturday and 3 to 7 p.m. Sunday. And the Clover Women's Club will have its Christmas Tour of Homes from 2 to 6 p.m. Sunday.
A visit to historic York
Tickets to the York tour are $10 each, available at the Greater York Chamber of Commerce and at each home on the day of the tour. For details, call the chamber at 684-2590.
Four homes and a church are featured on the York tour:
• Miller House, 219 E. Liberty St., one of the oldest remaining structures in York. It was built circa 1795 and continues to rest on its cut-stone piers. Front rooms were added in 1840, the original central chimney was removed, the end chimneys were added and the rectangular floor plan of today was created. Builder William D. Miller added Greek Revival front porches circa 1858. Other features include the prominent two-story columns, low-pitched roof, completely symmetrical front facade and glass surrounding the doors on both floors. The original flooring, staircase and other features are still intact. The homeowners are Vern and Denise Eakin.
• Ferguson House, 12 Wright Ave. The house was built circa 1895 by W. E. Ferguson, a local merchant who operated Fresh, Fancy and Family Groceries (Fine Cigars and Tobacco) on North Congress Street. His daughter Minnie Ferguson inherited the house after the death of her mother in 1957. Minnie lived in the house 25 years. It was willed to her brother, who died in 1997, which ended 100 years of Ferguson ownership. The late-Victorian cottage features a prominent gable, a left-wrapping porch, classical columns, Eastlake-like door detail and 11-foot ceilings. The home was restored by owners Jim and Libby Bradford.
• Ewart House, 14 Wright Ave. The home was built in 1906 by W.C. Ewart on a lot purchased for $300. It was lost by the later owners during the Great Depression. The bank sold it for $2,500 to the McConnell/Beard family, who used it as rental property for nearly 40 years. Piano lessons were taught by Mrs. Page there and a bicycle shop occupied the home. In 1972 it become home to high school maintenance director R.C. Bratton and his wife, Gladys. Victorian features include the deep wrap-around porch, sunroom, 8-foot doors and carved mantels. The owners are Debbie and John Shiflet.
• Barron House, 9 Kings Mountain St. Janie Robinson spent $950 to build the home. She married local dentist Dr. White before its completion. It was later home to the family of E.A. Hall, a York mayor. Around 1918, the property was bought by Dr. John Ingram Barron and his wife, Eugenia Isabell Auld Barron, who brought the live oak tree in the front yard from her home in Mount Pleasant. The structure is asymmetrical pre-1900 Colonial Revival, part-width porch, full-front gable with no entablature, paired windows, divided window panes; with free-classic Queen Anne features with a hipped roof with lower cross gables, spindled porch, single-pane door and asymmetric floor plan. The owner is Anne Fryar.
• Wesley United Methodist Church, 110 W. Jefferson St. Established in 1863 by the Rev. Nartlett and community members, Wesley is the first and oldest African-American Methodist Church in York County. It has occupied Jefferson Street for 140 years. The original church was on a lot purchased from W.A. Latta in 1866 and served the congregation for 90 years. A new sanctuary was built next to the old church in 1956. The current church is on the site where York's first Jefferson Graded School stood from 1900 to 1922. A new fellowship hall was added to the church in 1994. The church merged with Cedar Grove United Methodist Church in 1998.
New, old homes in Clover
Tickets to the Clover home tour are $10. They are available from any women's club member or at the Chambers of Commerce offices in Lake Wylie and Clover, The Dilworth Coffee House, Jac-Lyn's Hallmark and Curves in Lake Wylie, Joe McCarter's Barber Shop, The Cottage and The Palmetto House in Clover.
Proceeds will benefit a scholarship fund for a Clover High School senior. For details, call Windy Bartee, (803) 222-7533 or Judy Lark, (803) 222-7660 or (803) 222-4390.
Four homes and one local business are on the Clover tour:
• Heidi Johnson Blanke, 497 Boyd Road. A recently built family home decorated for the Christmas season.
• Brent and Laura Clinton, 3158 Ramble Road. The couple moved this old Clinton home which dates to the Reconstruction Period during the early 1870s from its original site on S.C. 55 and restored it. The mounting rock, once used to mount a horse or buggy, rests near the front steps.
• Joyce Monday, 929 Clover Park Drive. Built in one of the newer areas of the town near Clover Park, and creatively decorated.
• John and Jean Smith, 2304 S.C. 557. They have an older home that was once a farm house.
• The Palmetto House, 306 N. Main St. Built in the early 1900s, this was once the Jackson family home. It has been renovated and converted into a decorated shop.