The holiday lights are shining.
Following is a list of what we've heard about:
• The Travis Acres neighborhood on Rock Castle Drive off S.C. 324 just outside York, behind the Wal-Mart store, has many homes that are decorated. The home at 769 Rock Castle Drive has an airboat decked in lights with Santa Claus riding in it as if it were a sleigh. Reindeer can be seen at the front of the sleigh. Other homes in the neighborhood have lights, a train, a big snowman, seals, bears and other decorations. The lights are usually on from around 6 to 9:30 p.m. nightly.
• The Stafford Park neighborhood in Rock Hill will host its 11th annual Christmas lights show from dusk to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday. The neighborhood is located off Hollis Lakes Road, behind the U.S. Post Office on Ebenezer Road. Hundreds of luminaras will be lit throughout the neighborhood. Visitors may take the 2 1/2-mile stroll through the neighborhood to view the lights. Ballots will be given to the visitors, who can vote for their favorite home.
• The Blackwell family -- Joe, Terry and Cammie -- three homes at 4901, 4897 and 4883 Billy Wilson Road near Rock Hill, have a display of about 175,000 holiday lights. There are manger scenes, deer, Santas, snowmen, penguins and just about anything else you can imagine. Drive west on S.C. 5 from Rock Hill toward York; Billy Wilson Road is about a quarter-mile past the China Garden Convenience Store on the left.
• A home at the corner of Hollis Lakes Road, S.C. 901 and Olewoods Drive in Rock Hill is decked out to the nines in lights and festive decorations. There's a Nativity scene, lighted Santas, snowmen, reindeer, angels, a gingerbread house, stars atop the roof and much more. From Ebenezer Road, turn at the U.S. Post Office onto Hollis Lakes Road and cross S.C. 901. The home is on the left, facing Olewoods Drive. Both the front and back yards are decorated.
• Eddie and Linda Brakefield have done it again. They have a sled, a church, manger scene, ferris wheel, train and thousands of lights strung around their home on S.C. 161, betweem Newport and York. The home is at 5462 Old York Road, on the left as you're going toward York. The lights are usually on from 6 to 10 p.m.
• The town of Tega Cay is hosting a residential Christmas lights contest, and judging by Parks and Recreation committee members is being conducted this week, through Friday. No prizes are awarded, but the winners will enjoy bragging rights.
Know of some more?
To add a site to the list of lights and decorations that we're compiling, e-mail the details to Jennifer Becknell at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 329-4077. We need the address and name, a short description, when lights are on and directions, if necessary.