West African drum and dance group Borenya will perform at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. and at 3:30 p.m. Feb. 27 at the McCelvey Center, 212 E. Jefferson St., York, as part of the arts in education series for kindergartners to seventh-graders.
Admission is $5 per person, and reservations are recommended. For reservations and details, call 684-3948, Ext. 27, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Emmett Scott, Finley high school alumni gathering
The following alumni will meet:
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Emmett Scott High School class of 1958 will meet at 5 p.m. Saturday at Flint Hill Baptist Church, 1214 Flint Hill St., Rock Hill. For details, call Dorothy McNally 985-0398 or Louise Robinson 324-4933.
• Finley High School Class of 1966 will meet at 5 p.m. Saturday at Summit Food and Spirits, 134 Main St., Chester, to discuss the book scholarship award and the fall banquet. For details, call Jim Dunham at (704) 232-0793.
Friday is the last day to register for PRT spring sports
Registration for Rock Hill Parks, Recreation and Tourism's spring youth sports will end Friday. Baseball, soccer and girl's softball are offered. Register at Manchester Meadows, 337 E. Mount Gallant Road; the Cherry Park tower, 1466 Cherry Road; or the PRT office, room 390, Rock Hill City Hall, 155 Johnson St. First-time players should bring a birth certificate. Registration brochure and details are available online at www.rockhillrocks.com or call (803) 326-3792 or (803) 329-5672.
Deadline is Wednesday for arts school applications
The South Carolina Governor's School for the Arts and Humanities has extended its deadline for applications to Wednesday, for its 2008 summer programs and the 2008-2009 Residential High School year.
The school serves artistically gifted high school students of South Carolina through programs of pre-professional instruction in an environment of artistic and academic excellence. For applications and details, visit firstname.lastname@example.org or call (864) 282-3706.
Guardian ad Litem needs York, Union county volunteers
The volunteer Guardian ad Litem Program of York and Union County will have a training session beginning March 3. The program seeks volunteers, 21 years of age or older, desiring to work with children and with the ability to donate four to six hours per month.
The program provides advocates for children who are victims of abuse and neglect and finds these children safe, permanent homes.
There is a large need for African-American volunteers because 50 percent of the children served by the program are African- American. The program has found that traumatized children often find it difficult to trust people and respond better to an advocate with whom they can relate.
For details, call Mary Hoppmann at 327-9997 or visit york.scgal.org.
NAACP, Spencer Estates neighbors plan meetings
The following groups will have meetings:
• The Rock Hill branch of the NAACP will meet Sunday at the Freedom Center, 215 E. Main St., Rock Hill. There will be an executive meeting at 5 p.m. followed by a general meeting and youth division meeting at 6 p.m. The health committee will present a discussion on infectious disease. Constance Marion from DHEC will speak about MRSA and a representative from Catawba Care Coalition will provide information on HIV/AIDS in York County. For details, call Susie B. Hinton 366-2184.
• The Spencer Estates Neighborhood Associations will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday in the media room of Belleview Elementary School, 501 Belleview Road, Rock Hill.
Learn about effective exercise at Thursday program
The Upper Palmetto YMCA, Piedmont Medical Center and Winthrop University will have a free health talk from 7 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the York County Library, 138 E. Black St., Rock Hill. This month's topic, presented by Beth Kilpa, is how to start an effective exercise program. Kilpa is the personal training coordinator at the Fort Mill Branch YMCA. For details, call 366-9622.
Support groups available for celiac children, those grieving
The following support groups will meet:
• Raising our celiac kids group, ROCK, will meet at 6:30 p.m. Friday at 2741 Bush Road, Clover. Gluten-free snacks and drinks will be provided. Please bring a favorite gluten-free recipe to share. For details, call Lauretta at (803) 222-5143 or e-mail email@example.com.
• The GriefShare recovery seminar and support group will have a 13-week support program for those experiencing grief. The program will meet on Wednesdays beginning this week.
The morning group will meet at 11 a.m. and the evening group will meet at 6 p.m. at First Baptist Church of Rock Hill, 481 Hood Center Drive.
GriefShare features nationally recognized experts on grief and recovery topics. Program topics include the journey of grief, the effects of grief, when your spouse dies, your family and grief and stuck in grief.
For details, call the church at 327-7181 or Stewart Smith at 328-6932.
Free dental screening rescheduled for Friday
North Central Family Medical Center and York Technical College has rescheduled the date on the free dental screening. It will be from 9 a.m. to noon Friday at the center, 1131 Saluda St., Rock Hill.
The screening will help detect problems with the teeth and gums and is available to all ages. No appointment is required. Additional services will be offered after the screening through York Tech. For details, call 325-7744, Ext. 210 or Ext. 238.