Ready to kick back? Rock Hill's Come-See-Me Festival promises another weekend of music, food and outdoor festivities in its closing days.
Four days of noon and evening entertainment at Glencairn Garden wrap up today, with music from Mexico and Spain at noon by the Latin Heritage Dance Company of Fort Mill.
And from 6 to 7:30 tonight at Glencairn, about 20 local performers -- including a duet, a group of eight and some dancers and singers -- will don costumes or formal attire and sing show tunes during Broadway Night at Glencairn. Performers auditioned for the talent show earlier this month.
"We're billing it as, come out and enjoy a night on Broadway for free," said Jane Hayes, team leader for the Glencairn event.
If it rains, she said, the Broadway event will move to Emmett Scott Center's McGirt Auditorium, 801 Crawford Road.
The closing weekend gets off to a start on Friday night, with the Moonlight Jazz and Blues from 6 to 10 p.m. at Winthrop Lake. Stretch out on your blanket or settle into your lawn chair.
The event will feature the Adam Snow Septet from 6 to 8 p.m. and the Robin Rogers Band from 8 to 10 p.m. Light snacks will be sold, and IDs will be checked for alcoholic beverages.
The festival goes on with a blast on Saturday, with the Tailgate Party at Winthrop Lake. The sprawling lakeside party will begin at 3 p.m. -- organizers warn that no one will be allowed in the lake area before that time -- and continues until the 9 p.m. fireworks.
Hayes said organizers are praying for clear skies, because the finale event will be canceled if it rains. The current forecast calls for a chance of thunderstorms on Saturday.
A new festival event is the barbecue cook-off contest, a sanctioned competition that will match the talents of barbecue cook enthusiasts from across the Southeast. It will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday and beginning at 3 p.m. Saturday.
Samples from Friday's "no pork" competition will be sold at the Moonlight Jazz event, and barbecue will be sold during Saturday's Tailgate Party. The barbecue will be limited -- so get some before it's gone.
Other Saturday events include a frog float at Manchester Meadows, an Everything Trucks! event at First Baptist Church, the canine disc competition at Northside Elementary and a children's carnival at Rogers Memorial ARP Church on Eden Terrace.
Hayes said the tailgate party is prompting a lot of calls about regulations. Parking for the tailgate event will be $5 per vehicle in the Winthrop Coliseum parking areas. No vehicles will be allowed past the parking area, so plan to carry your picnic, coolers, chairs and umbrellas down to the lake.
No trailered grills will be permitted, but smaller grills will be allowed as long as the owners can roll or carry them. Other prohibited items at the tailgate party include glass bottles or containers, pets, vendors, skateboards, bikes or roller blades, tiki torches or similar lighting, motorized scooters and golf carts. IDs will be checked for those who consume alcohol.
Live entertainment starts at 3:30 p.m. The music will be provided by Heavy Sandwich from 3:30 to 5 p.m., Parallel from 5:15 to 6:45 p.m. and A-1-A from 7 to 9 p.m.
The Skydiving Exhibition will perform daredevil acts above the Tailgate Party at 6:45 p.m. Four skydivers from the Carolina Skydiving Team will perform freefall, flag displays, smoke signals, canopy maneuvers and accuracy landings.
Come-See-Me will end with the Fireworks Extravaganza at 9 p.m. The fireworks, launched by Melrose Pyrotechnics, will be synchronized to music and broadcast live on WRHI-1340 AM/FM 94.3.
Following is a complete schedule of today's Come-See-Me Festival and event highlights for Friday and Saturday. For more details, check The Herald daily or visit www.comeseeme.rockhill.net.
• "Battledrum," a Civil War musical for students, 9 and 11 a.m. and 7 p.m., McCelvey Center, 212 E. Jefferson St., York.
• Glencairn Garden entertainment, noon to 1:30 p.m. and 6 to 7:30 p.m., Glencairn Garden, Charlotte Avenue.
• Winthrop University Symphonic Band and Wind Symphony Concert, 7:30 p.m., Byrnes Auditorium.
• Come-See-Me Barbeque Cook-off, 6 to 8 p.m., Winthrop Lake.
• Red and White Charity Ball, 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., call 324-5595 or 327-2342 for location.
• Moonlight Jazz & Blues, 6 to 10 p.m., Winthrop Lake.
• Come-See-Me Barbeque Cook-off, 3 p.m., Winthrop Lake.
• Frog Float, 10 a.m., Manchester Meadows Soccer Complex.
• Everything Trucks!, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., First Baptist Church parking lot, Dave Lyle Boulevard and Hood Center Drive.
• Canine Disc Competition, 1 p.m., Northside Elementary School, 840 Annafrel St.
• Tailgate Party, 3 to 9 p.m., Winthrop Lake.
• Skydiving Exhibition, 6:45 p.m., Winthrop Lake.
• Kids' Carnival, 4 to 7 p.m., Rogers Memorial ARP Church, 1820 Eden Terrace.
• Fireworks Extravaganza, 9 p.m., Winthrop Lake.