▪ Application deadline for Master Gardener training for York, Chester and Lancaster counties is June 30. Classes are 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Aug. 1-Nov. 7 at the York County Clemson Extension office, 120 N. Congress St., York. Several afternoon field trips are scheduled. The class covers all aspects of horticulture. Details: Paul Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 803-684-9919, ext. 112.
▪ The Town of Richburg will host the dedication of a black granite informational sign for the Edgemoor and Manetta Railway No. 5 steam locomotive, 2 p.m. Saturday at Richburg Town Park, 116 N. Main St.
▪ St. John’s United Methodist Church Bluegrass and Barbecue dinner, 5 p.m. Saturday featuring The Hinson Girls at 130 Tom Hall St., Fort Mill. Music starts after dinner. Ticket prices vary between $5 and $10 and include meal and entertainment. Menu: barbecue plates with the fixings, $10; barbecue sandwich with beans or slaw, $8 and children’s plates with barbecue or chicken strips, $5. Tickets available at the church or at the door. Proceeds to the United Methodist Men’s church projects.
▪ American Legion Frank Roach Post 34 hosts bingo Tuesday at the post, 524 Heckle Boulevard, Rock Hill. Doors open 5 p.m. Cards are sold at 6 p.m. Bingo starts at 7 p.m. Cost is $25. Open to the public. Proceeds go to local charities and to help veterans in need. Food can be purchased. Detail: 803-327-2959.
▪ Tega Cay Lions annual Fourth of July Fish Fry, 4:30-7:30 p.m. July 4 at the Tega Cay Golf Club Menu: of flounder or chicken tenders, baked beans, potato salad, slaw, hush puppies and tea. Tickets: $11, adults and $7, age 11 and younger.. Bruster’s ice cream available for purchase. Tickets: tegacaylions.wix.com/tegacaylions or 803-369-3013.
▪ “Inviting Nature into Your Landscape with Native Plants” will be the topic at the Piedmont Chapter of the S.C. Native Plant Society, Tuesday, 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Museum York County, 4621 Mount Gallant Road. Lisa Tompkins, a North Carolina landscape designer and owner of a small, native-plants nursery, will speak. A meet and greet will be at 6:30 p.m. Open to members and those who want join. Details: 803- 803-242-9545 or email@example.com
▪ MaxAbilities of York County. 7 p.m. Thursday at the administration building , 7900 Park Place Road in the East York Industrial Park, off S.C. 5, York.
▪ Rock Hill branch of the NAACP general meeting, 9 a.m. Saturday at Bannon Hall from St. Mary Catholic Church, 902 Crawford Road. Details: 803-230-9574.
▪ The inaugural Summer Concerts in Fort Mill featuring Sonic Rewind, 7 p.m. Saturday beside Veterans Park. Bring a blanket or chair. There will be food trucks, specialty coffees by Southern Sugar, strawberry lemonade and shortcake by the Elks Lodge, and a selection of craft beer by Carolina Ale House.
▪ Fort Mill Community Playhouse presents “Marriage is Murder,” 7:30 p.m. Thursday-Sunday; matinee, 3 p.m. Sunday at the playhouse, 220 Main St. The comedy is about ex-spouses who write murder mysteries together. Tickets: $16, adults; $13, students. Reservations recommended at fortmillplayhouse.org or 803-548-8102. Tickets available at Tega Cay Pharmacy or Crossings on Main. Cash or checks only.
York County Library
The following programs will be offered at the Main Library in Rock Hill.
Family Movies, 2-3:30 p.m., Friday. Free family movie, rated G or PG. Blankets and comfy attire are welcome. All ages, accompanied by adult. No registration required. Details: yclibrary.org or call 803-981-5888.
Saturday Movies at the Library, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday. Rated PG-13; runtime 121 minutes. Bring your lunch if you’d like; light refreshments will be provided. Students under 17 must be accompanied by an adult who remains with them for the movie. Details: yclibrary.org or call 803-981-5825. No registration required.
Complete schedule at yclibrary.org
▪ Lake Wylie Shag Club’s 4th of July Cookout, 7-11 p.m. July 1, Fort Mill Moose Lodge, 1676 Harris Road, Fort Mill. Guest DJ: Captain Ron Teague. Admission: $3, members; $7, guests. Club providing hot dogs and hamburgers. Members bring sides or desserts. Drinks are available for purchase.
▪ York County Free Clinic, 410 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill needs volunteers in clinical and clerical areas. We provide health care for the uninsured residents of York County ages 18-64. Details: 803-366-6337.
▪ Volunteer information session drop in, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursday at Agapé Hospice regional office, 1326 Ebenezer Road, Rock Hill, Details: 803-627-7703.
▪ Al-Anon meets 8 p.m. Mondays at Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill; noon Tuesdays at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, 421 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill; 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and 8p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill. Serenity Seekers, 6 p.m. Mondays, The Journey Church, 5415 S.C. 557, Lake Wylie.
▪ Alateen meets 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. Details: 803-547-2124 or 704-904-7834.
Send community news and photos (JPEG images) to firstname.lastname@example.org or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.