▪ Bethel United Methodist Church Soup Kitchen, 11:30 a.m. Thursday at the church on Curtis Avenue, Rock Hill. Open to the community. Donations accepted. The kitchen is open Thursdays through March.
▪ VFW Post 3746 pre-Valentine’s Day dance, 8 p.m.-1 a.m. Friday at the VFW Post on West Main Street, Rock Hill. Tickets: $15, singles; $25, couples. Proceeds go to build a new VFW post on Crawford Road.
▪ Camp High Hopes and Boyd Hill Baptist Brotherhood Ministry, Valentine Community Dance, 5:30-8 p.m. Saturday at Boyd Hill Richard E. Sandifer Life Center, 310 Glenn St., Rock Hill. Free to students. Free food and prizes. Wear red. Nazareth and Union Baptist churches are co-sponsors.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Herald
▪ Two piano faculty members present a duo concert at 4 p.m. Sunday at Winthrop’s Frances May Barnes Recital Hall in Rock Hill. Will Fried, artist associate at Davidson College, and Tomoko Deguchi, associate professor at Winthrop, will perform along with Adam Snow, instructor at Winthrop. Free and open to the public. The performance will feature Stravinsky’s iconic Rite of Spring arranged for two pianos, and music by John Adams and Ron Keith Parks, a Charlotte-area composer and Winthrop professor. Details: firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-323-2602.
▪ Newcomers Club of York County’s monthly meeting and Bingo Fundraiser, 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at Palmetto Room, 150 E. White St., Rock Hill. Five & Dine will provide lunch. Cost is $16. The fundraiser opens to the public at 12:45 p.m., $10 at the door. Five bingo games start at 1:15 p.m. Packs of five cards are $10 each. Individual cards are $3 each. Proceeds benefit year-end charities. Reservations required: 508-397-2273 or YCNreservations@yahoo.com by 10 p.m. Thursday.
▪ Rock Hill Music Club, 4 p.m. Thursday at First Presbyterian Church, 234 E. Main St. “A Festival of Hymns” will be presented by Dr. Don Rogers. Free and open to the public. Donations accepted for music scholarships.
▪ Western York County branch of the NAACP youth council, 9 a.m. Saturday and the regular meeting 6 p.m. Feb. 15, both at the Greater York Chamber of Commerce.
▪ Fort Mill Care Center’s annual board meeting, 10 a.m. Wednesday at the care center, 2760 Old Nation Road.
▪ Rock Hill Community Theatre presents Ken Ludwig’s comedy “Lend Me a Tenor,” Friday-Sunday and Feb. 15-18. World-famous Italian tenor Tito Morelli is set to perform the starring role in the Cleveland Grand Opera Company’s gala season opener. When opera’s assistant general manager, finds Tito indisposed, he and his manager find a way to save the big night. Show times are 7:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday and Feb. 15-17 and 3 p.m. Sunday and Feb.18 at Rock Hill Community Theatre, 546 S. Cherry Road, behind ROC Emporium. Tickets: $15, adults; $12, students and seniors; $2 discount for matinees. For tickets: rockhilltheatre.org or 803-326-7428. Contains PG-level profanity and risque behavior.
▪ Fort Mill Community Playhouse presents “Love Letters,” 7:30 p.m. Saturday starring Polly Adkins and Mike Collins. The single performance is a capital campaign fundraiser. Dessert and champagne served at intermission. Tickets: $25. Reservations required: fortmillplayhouse.com or 803-548-8102.
York County Library
▪ The York County Library in Rock Hill offers the following free programs:
Black History Trivia through Feb. 28. Pick up trivia questions and return the completed for a chance to win a $25 gift card to Olive Garden.
Genealogy Group, 1-2:30 p.m. Friday. This group meets once a month to discuss our research, techniques, new sources and help each other learn more about family history. All skill levels welcome. No registration necessary.
Cosplay Workshop, 2:30-4:30, Saturday. Learn how to create cosplays at a low cost. Ages 11-17. Register online or call 803-981-5830.
▪ Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program will open at Rock Hill City Hall in the Wellness Center for free tax-preparation assistance. Volunteers are IRS certified and trained by the SC and NC department of revenues. Volunteers will electronically file federal and states income tax returns.
Rock Hill City Hall on the first floor in the Wellness Center, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and 1:30-4:30 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday through April 16. No return started after 4 p.m.
▪ Winthrop University in the DiGiorgio Center second floor, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Fridays, through March 30.
▪ York Technical College in Building A, second floor computer lab, 9 a.m.-noon and 1:30-3 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday through April 12 and 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Saturdays through April 14.
▪ Leroy Springs Recreation Complex, 971 Tom Hall St., Fort Mill, and Clover Public Library, 107 Knox St., 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Saturdays, Feb. 10 and 17.
Bring current year’s tax forms, W-2 and 1099s. Information regarding other income. Information for all deductions/credits. A copy of last year’s tax return. Proof of account for direct deposit of refund (voided check). Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification cards for you, spouse and dependents. Proof of identification for yourself and spouse.
▪ Second Harvest Partners, sponsored by Providence Presbytery, hunger relief site, 9 a.m. Thursday at Green Pond United Methodist Church, 983 Bethel St., Clover. Volunteers will distribute food to participants who meet USDA eligibility income guidelines. Details: Catawba Area Agency on Aging at 803-329-9670.
Send news and photos (JPEGs) to email@example.com or 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730.