The second annual Empowerment Conference, sponsored by My Brother’s Keeper, will be 8 a.m. Saturday at Kenneth Monroe Transformation Center, 745 Saluda St., Rock Hill.
There will be workshops for students in pre-K to high school. Special sessions will be offered for parents and guardians. Students will get free school supplies.
Lunch served. There will be outdoor activities, games and giveaways. Free registration. To register, go to http://bit.ly/2azH6ti
▪ York Baptist Association is sponsoring “Celebrate Solidarity,” 10 a.m.-1 p.m Aug. 27 at the Rock Hill amphitheater. The event is to celebrate the racial unity that exists in the body of Christ. All churches are invited. There will be two praise bands and food. For information, call David Roth at 803-984-4337 or 803-327-6144
▪ Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, Liberty Street, York will host its annual Antique and Artisans event 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Aug. 26 and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 27. Items include jewelry, linens, dolls, original art and pottery. A bake sale will be 9 a.m.-noon daily; lunch may be purchased 11 a.m.-3 p.m. The Early Music Ensemble of Central Piedmont Community College will give a concert at 3 p.m. Aug. 27. Admission is free.
▪ The Central City Optimists Club 13th annual Charity Golf Tournament will be 8:15 a.m. Sept. 10 at the Spring Lake Country Club, 1375 Spring Lake Road, York. Cost is $60 per person or $240 per team. Registration deadline is Sept. 3. Proceeds benefit the local youth through our scholarships, oratorical contests, essay contests and other projects. For information, call Lonnie Harvey at 803-493-0001, Charlie Robinson at 803-230-3325 or Leonard Adams at 410-259-1365.
▪ Hospice & Community Care fourth annual Labor of Love (LOL) event Sept. 1 will feature Anita Renfroe, a break-out YouTube sensation, who rose to fame when she sang of everything a mother says to her children in a single day to the tune of “The William Tell Overture.” The show will be 7 p.m. at Baxter Hood Center in Rock Hill. An opening reception begins at 6 p.m. She is the wife of a pastor and featured regularly on “Good Morning America.” She also is a speaker on the Woman of Faith Farewell Tour. Tickets are $25 and available at HospiceCommunityCare.org
▪ The Fort Mill VFW will have it’s annual membership kickoff and open house, 2-5 p.m. Aug. 27 at 1442 Harris Road. Anyone interested in becoming a member of our organization (Post or Auxiliary), bring a copy of your DD 214 or we can assist with military records. For information, call 803-547-5480
▪ Rock Hill Area Shag Club August party, 8 p.m. Saturday at Celebrations at Ramada Inn. Meeting at 7 p.m. Dinner is hamburgers with all the fixings. Wear ’70s attire. Admission: $3, members; $5, guests.
Lake Wylie Shag Club will have its Hawaiian Luau, 8 p.m. Aug. 27 at the Fort Mill Moose Lodge, 1676 Harris Road. Admission: $3, members; $5, guests. Member bring a favorite dish or dessert.
▪ The Ballroom Dance Club will meet 7:30-10:20 p.m. Friday in the Oak Room, Fort Mill Golf Course, 101 Country Club Drive. Guests: $15, couples; $7.50, singles. Free 30-minute dance lesson. Dances include swing and shag. No alcohol; light refreshments provided. Dressy casual. All skill levels welcome. For information, Call Bob at 803-329-5764, 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
▪ St John’s United Methodist Church will offer East Coast Swing classes, 7:30-8:30 p.m. Sept. 6, 13, 20 and 27 at the church on Oakland Avenue, Rock Hill. Open to the public. Written dance steps will be provided. Cost is $20 with proceeds going to the youth of the church. Park in White Street parking lot to enter the St. John’s Center. You do not need a partner or to preregister. Come early the first night to register as classes begin promptly at 7:30 p.m. For information, call Pat at 803-372-1315 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
▪ Rock Hill Parks, Recreation and Tourism is taking registration through Aug. 26 for a Fall Girls Softball Program. The program is for ages 7-12 as of Dec. 31. Cost is $42. Those who fall on the line of the age limits can choose to play up or down in division. Participants in the Spring Youth Sports leagues will get a $7 reduction in the registration fee. Registration taken during office hours Monday-Friday at Manchester Meadows, the Cherry Park tower, the PRT Office (Room 390) at City Hall, and at the four recreation centers. First time players must bring a copy of their birth certificate to register. Returning players may register on-line at www.CityofRockHill.com/PRT if they have a current email address on file with the Parks, Recreation & Tourism Department. For information, contact Haley Zuehlke at 803-325-2585 or email@example.com.
▪ Rock Hill Parks, Recreation and Tourism is offering a free youth soccer clinic for ages 4-13 at 5:30-6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Manchester Meadows. Participants will get ready for the fall season with instruction by trained staff. Participants should bring cleats, shin guards and a water bottle. For information, call 803-326-3792.
▪ Former students from Hillcrest Elementary School will meet 5 p.m. Saturday at Foundation AME Zion Church, Neely Store Road, Rock Hill.
▪ The Rock Hill Chapter of Finley High School alumni will meet 5 p.m. Monday at Jackson’s Cafeteria 1735 Heckle Blvd., Rock Hill. Any one who graduated or attended Finley is invited. Others who want to join as an associate members is welcome. For information, call Charlie M. Robinson at 803-230-3325 or James T. Dunham at 704-232-0793.
▪ Celebrate Recovery Life Groups meets 6:50 p.m. Thursdays at the Fort Mill Church of God, 221 Academy St., Fort Mill. Free. No registration required
▪ Alateen meets 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information, call 803-547-2124 or 704-904-7834.
▪ Al-Anon meets 8 p.m. Mondays at Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill; noon Tuesdays upstairs at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, 421 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill; 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
Send Community News items to firstname.lastname@example.org or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.