Rock Hill Police make arrest in 2002 murder

Rock Hill officials have made an arrest in a four-year-old murder case.

Patrick Maurice Thompson, 29, whose last known address was 438 S. Dave Lyle Blvd., was arrested and charged late Wednesday with the 2002 murder of 27-year-old Rudolph “Rudy” Gerald Williams Jr.

Thompson, who was already in jail on federal charges and was brought back to Rock Hill, also was charged with possession of a firearm during a violent crime.

If convicted, Thompson could face up to 35 years in jail, said Lt. Les Herring of the Rock Hill Police Department.

Officials originally arrested and charged Edwin Eugene Miller in the case but later dropped the charges against Miller's attorney found four alibi witnesses who said Miller was with them at the time Williams was killed.

Herring said interviews with witnesses and investigations with multiple agencies led officials to charge Thompson.

“His name came up the night of the homicide,” Herring said about Thompson. “We weren’t able to develop enough information to look in his direction.”

But further investigation led officials back to Thompson, Herring said.

“We continued to interview people, and he was identified less than two years ago,” said Herring, who added the police department had an outstanding warrant for Thompson for assault with intent to kill and possession of a firearm during a violent crime.

Thompson’s newest charges stem from an incident that happened Nov. 14, 2002.

A man knocked on Williams’ apartment door and sat on a couch and talked with family members, a police report notes. Williams and the man then went into a back bedroom from which an argument ensued. Williams’ father then went to the back bedroom and saw the man assaulting Williams. A gunshot was heard, and Williams pushed the man through the apartment and out the front door, the report notes.

Williams, who had a gunshot wound to his right upper chest, then collapsed in the front door of the apartment, according to the report. He was transported to Piedmont Medical Center, where he later died from his wounds.

An autopsy later found Williams died of internal blood loss.

For more details, read Friday’s Herald.