Man accused in fatal hit-and-run released on bond

YORK --The man police say fatally hit a Rock Hill teen as he walked along S.C. 322 was at a lake drinking alcohol and later stopped at a bar for more drinks in the hours before the fatal hit-and-run wreck, prosecutors say.

Jimmy Ray Pickens, 24, charged in connection with the June death of 18-year-old Kenneth "Scooter" Encinas Jr., was released on a $200,000 bond on Monday.

"I didn't want him out," Kenneth Encinas Sr. said when reached Tuesday. "I'm afraid that he's going to violate bond and do something wrong."

Judge Lee Alford ordered Pickens to refrain from drinking alcohol and to undergo random alcohol testing, 16th Circuit Solicitor Kevin Brackett said Tuesday.

Alford also put Pickens on house arrest, but he can go to work, church or to the doctor. He will be monitored via global positioning system at his expense, Brackett said.

Rock Hill attorney John Rhea declined to comment on his client's case.

Pickens' bond was denied earlier this month. During Monday's bond hearing, Brackett retraced Pickens' alleged actions leading up to the fatal hit-and-run wreck, he said Tuesday.

On June 2, Encinas went to see a movie. Then, the former South Pointe High School student stopped by a friend's home.

Meanwhile, Pickens hung out with friends at a lake, where he had been drinking beer all day, Brackett said. After Pickens left the lake, he stopped at a Cherry Road bar and had more drinks, Brackett said.

When Pickens left the bar, he told authorities that he smoked marijuana while driving down Cherry Road toward S.C. 322, or McConnells Highway, Brackett said.

Later, Pickens stopped at two convenience stores and attempted to purchase beer, but the clerks refused to sell him alcohol because he was too intoxicated, Brackett said.

Around 10 p.m., Encinas called home before making plans to stay with his friend. Encinas later changed his mind and walked west along S.C. 322 and Reese Roach Road.

Pickens left one of the stores driving a 1997 Ford F-150 truck, police said. Surveillance video put Pickens in the store around 11 p.m. Pickens was behind two other motorists, including one who saw two working headlights on the F-150 truck in his rearview mirror, Brackett said.

The first car passed Encinas and the driver moved to the left, Brackett said. The second car moved to the left and followed the first car. As the witness passed, he looked over and saw Encinas walking in the grass on the side of the road, he said.

The driver continued down the road and heard a noise behind him, Brackett said. When he looked in his rearview mirror, the truck was not there. When he saw the truck again, the right front headlight was out, Brackett said.

Encinas' body was discovered the next morning by two preteens who biked along McConnells Highway, Brackett said. Also located nearby were broken headlight pieces that were linked to Perkins' truck.

Perkins told authorities that he hit something on the way home and thought it was a deer, Brackett said.

Perkins was charged with felony driving under the influence involving a death and leaving the scene of a collision that resulted in a death. Officials said both charges could carry up to 25 years in prison without parole.