• Airman 1st Class Jonathan R. Vanderford, son of Chrystal Wilson of Lancaster, has graduated from basic military training at Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas. He graduated in 2003 from Great Falls High School and received an associate degree in 2005 from the University of South Carolina-Lancaster.
• Civilian Lisa Stevens, daughter of Charles N. and Jean V. Knight of Lancaster, has been named Category II Civilian of the Year for the 374th Fight Wing at Yokota Air Base, Tokyo, Japan. She received the award for her contributions to the morale, welfare, and recreation of Air Force personnel and their families while serving as the Yokota Air Base marketing director.
Stevens serves as the career field administrator for Headquarters Air Force Personnel Center at Randolph Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas. She has 13 years of federal service.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
She graduated in 1989, from Westminster Catawba Christian School and received a bachelor's degree in 1994 from the University of Maryland at College Park.
• Airman Erik M. Brunson Jr., son of Erik M. and Hilda Brunson of Rock Hill, has graduated from basic military training at Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas.
He is a 2006 graduate of Rock Hill High School.
• Airman 1st Class Tiffany R. Eakin, daughter of Denise Eakin of East Liberty Street, York, recently graduated from basic military training at Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas. She is the granddaughter of Bob Smith of Clover and is a 2003 graduate of Clover High School.
Air National Guard
• Airman Kristopher M. Leist, son of Matthew and Kathryn Leist of Fort Mill, recently graduated from basic military training at Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas. He earned distinction as an honor graduate.
• Pfc. Sasha L. Sanders, daughter of Trina T. Sanders and Ronald J. Sanders, both of Rock Hill, participated in the 32nd U.S. Army Annual Culinary Arts Competition at Fort Lee, Petersburg, Va.
The two-week competition involved Army soldier-chefs, both active duty and reserve, as well as members from other branches of the U.S. Armed Forces. The competitions allows service members to sharpen and broaden their cooking, baking, roasting, and pouching skills to stay on the cutting edge of culinary techniques. Their culinary skills ultimately benefit military service members eating in dining and mess hall facilities and battlefield kitchens serving soldiers in combat zones.
Competitors are awarded certificates, medallions, engraved plaques and trophies in their particular category. The winners received recognition for ability, practicality, nutrition, workmanship, economy, presentation, creativity, concept, skills, style, and techniques in food preparation and management.
Sanders, a food service specialist, is assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, I Corps and Fort Lewis, Tacoma, Wash. She has served in the military for more than two years.
She is a 2004 graduate of Rock Hill High School.
• Army Spec. Damon A. Shelton, son of Robert L. and Erma N. Shelton of Rock Hill, has returned to the 629th Military Intelligence, Cascade, Md., after being deployed overseas in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. He is a security member with 10 years of military service.
Army National Guard
• PV2 Laura A. Dowling, daughter of Bill and Lucille Dowling of Rock Hill, recently graduated from the Military Intelligence Analyst Course. She completed her Advanced Individual Training course at Fort Huachuca, Ariz.
• Aleutian Island veterans, spouses and guests from World War II and later, will have reunions Aug. 11 in Clio, Mich.; Sept. 4 through 6 in Williams, Calif.; Oct. 26 through 28 in Archbold, Ohio; and Nov. 11 through 13 in Laughlin, Nev.
For more information or registration blank, send a self-addressed stamped No. 10 envelope to Al King, P.O. Box 130327, Sunrise, FL 33313; call 954-423-1852; or e-mail WILLIWAWAL@AOL.COM.
• The 7th Armored Division will hold its 61st annual reunion Sept. 27 through Oct. 1 in Virginia Beach, Va.
For more information, contact Cheryl M. Higley at 860-678-1018 or e-mail CMHIG58@aol.com.