News In Brief - August 6, 2007

Armed gunman robs Fort Mill Petro Express

FORT MILL -- The Fort Mill Petro Express on U.S. 21 was robbed at gunpoint early Sunday, according to a York County Sheriff's Office report.

The clerk told deputies a man wearing a red ball cap, dark khaki shorts, a multi-colored, white-background striped collared shirt and white tennis shoes entered the store at about 3:45 a.m. The man circled the store once, came to the counter and said, "Give me all the money and don't do nothing funny," the report states. Then he lifted his shirt to show a handgun tucked into his waistband.

When the clerk gave him the money, he walked calmly out, behind the store and disappeared. A sheriff's department canine unit tracked the suspect to a parking lot at the Carousel center, where the track ended.

Home robbed of guitars, video gear, watches, rifle

FORT MILL -- A Fort Mill resident Saturday reported that $3,850 had been stolen from his home sometime since July 30, according to a York County Sheriff's Office report.

Stolen were a Nintendo Wii gaming console and four Wii video games, a black Epiphone Les Paul electric guitar, a red Fender Telecaster electric guitar, a black Krafter acoustic guitar, an Accutron watch with a black face and a silver band, a Bulova watch with a black face and diamonds at each number, also with a silver band, a Puma 454 lever action rifle with a short barrel and wooden stock and a 26-inch flat screen television.

There was no sign of forced entry, according to the report.

$7,100 in electronics stolen from home

SMYRNA -- A Smyrna resident told York Sheriff's deputies burglars entered his home while he was at work Friday and stole electronic equipment valued at about $7,100.

Burglars also broke a padlock, doing an additional $100 damage, according to the sheriff's office report.

Reported stolen were a Sony Grand Wega 60-inch projection TV with a set of Bose speakers, a Westinghouse 32-inch flat screen TV and a Motorola Sliver cell phone.

Wounded Army hero to be recognized at playoffs

Zack Micklon, a U.S. Army soldier severely injured on June 10 in Somalia, will be an honored hero today at the American Legion state baseball playoffs at the Winthrop stadium.

He is expected to be recognized before the 11 a.m. game, according to Jesse Campbell, state committeeman for the playoffs.

Micklon will be on his way home to Gaffney today after nearly two months in serious condition at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C.

This will be his first time home since he was wounded. His brother, Tony Micklon, is a catcher for the Sumter team.

Teen gets minor scrapes, bruises in six-story fall

MYRTLE BEACH -- A Georgia teen who fell six stories from a hotel balcony trying to help a fellow tourist suffered just bruises and scrapes in his harrowing fall.

Matthew Savage was reaching up to the balcony one floor up to grab a bathing suit that had fluttered down from the 11th floor when he felt himself tumble over the railing.

The Gainesville, Ga., 17-year-old hit other balconies on his way down and slammed onto a slanted rooftop covering the Tropical Winds' lazy river. He slid off that roof into the bushes.

"I just closed my eyes," Savage said Saturday, nursing scrapes and bruises on his back and legs.

After he landed in the bushes, he got up and started walking back to his room. Paramedics strapped him to a board and flew him to a hospital for an examination. A body scan and other tests showed he was OK.

Tracy Weeks, of Raleigh, N.C., said her son's swimsuit seemed in reach of the balcony below, so she asked Savage to reach for it.

"This has been the worst nightmare of my life," she said. "I couldn't sleep."

NAACP to investigate jail hanging death

GREENVILLE -- Greenville's NAACP says it will conduct its own inquiry into the hanging death of a 25-year-old man in the Fountain Inn jail.

Police said Richard J. Johnson hanged himself with his long-sleeve T-shirt while he was in a holding cell alone July 29.

Johnson's family says the man had just gotten a new job and was engaged to be married, said Clarence Echols, president of the Greenville chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

"There was no indication that he would do anything to take his own life," Echols said.

The NAACP is helping the family raise the $3,400 needed for a second autopsy.

Fountain Inn police Chief Keith Morton said Johnson was arrested with a co-defendant and did not show any "signs of distress or odd behavior." Morton said Johnson died about an hour after being charged with possession of crack cocaine.

Charlotte employee shot at grocery store

CHARLOTTE -- An employee was shot inside the Food Lion at 7920 Cambridge Commons Drive during a robbery attempt Sunday morning, according to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department. The employee's injuries are serious but not life-threatening, police said.

A witness said he heard gunshots, then a suspect came around a corner, held a gun on the witness and took his van. The van later was found, and the search continues for the suspect.