Local

York man charged in shooting

YORK -- One of two York men arrested after last week's shooting death of a member of the Valley Boys gang was charged Tuesday with murder.

Antonio Maurice Mobley, 25, of 13 Rosewood Lane faces multiple felony charges, including murder, assault and battery with intent to kill and possession of a firearm during a violent crime, according to arrest warrants.

"We have statements from witnesses who say they saw Antonio Mobley shoot the victim," said Detective John Naylis of the York Police Department.

The murder charge could carry a life sentence, Deputy Solicitor Willy Thompson said.

The charges come a week after the shooting on California Street that left 19-year-old Dawud Chester dead. Also wounded in the Sept. 11 incident was Lorraine Shannon, 33, who is associated with the Cali Boys, a rival gang, police said.

Mobley, who graduated from a Spartanburg college and planned to take an exam to earn his real estate license, had been in custody since the morning after the shooting. At that time, police charged with him illegal possession of a gun.

Monquarius Antonio Duncan, 19, of York also was arrested on previous charges.

On Tuesday, Mobley's father, Silas Mobley, declined to comment about the murder charge against his son. Attorney Melvin Roberts was hired Tuesday to represent Duncan and Antonio Mobley.

"He's not a member of any gang," Roberts said about Mobley. "He's a well-educated man with a good job."

Last week, Silas Mobley told The Herald that Antonio Mobley tried to break up a fight involving his brother and cousin and that he did not have anything to do with the fatal shooting.

Yet, police documents state Antonio Mobley and Duncan, raised by Silas Mobley as brothers, were involved. While police believe Duncan was not armed, police reports state that Antonio Mobley had a gun that fell out of his pocket.

According to arrest warrants, Mobley shot Chester in the back with a .45 caliber handgun. The warrants state Shannon was shot in both legs.

"The wounds are consistent with a gun of that caliber, meaning we have one gun that was fired and one suspect," Naylis said.

Mobley did not have a weapon when he was arrested. However, police say they recovered five shells from the scene that appeared to come from the same gun.

Shannon was taken to Piedmont Medical Center in Rock Hill and transferred to Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, where he was listed in fair condition on Tuesday, a hospital spokeswoman said.

No one else was hurt in the incident, which drew more than 200 people to the scene.

According to the State Law Enforcement Division, Mobley previously was charged but found not guilty of operating an uninsured motor vehicle. He also was charged and convicted of trespassing, according to SLED. Duncan's criminal record shows a public disorderly conduct charge, according to SLED.

A bond hearing for both men could come Thursday, Thompson said. Both men remained in custody Tuesday at the Moss Justice Detention Center.

  Comments