York woman sentenced after plea in fatal stabbing

YORK -- A York woman who fatally stabbed her daughter's father in December did so to protect the daughter, according to her court testimony.

Iris Diawanna Gilmore, 33, of 105 Fleetwood Road pleaded guilty this week to voluntary manslaughter in connection to the stabbing death of 35-year-old Carlos Antonio Latta. Gilmore, the mother of two, also pleaded guilty to food stamp fraud.

Gilmore was sentenced to 10 years in prison, of which she will serve four years on both charges followed by a five-year probation, Judge Michael Nettles said Monday during court in York. The second sentence will run concurrently with the first sentence. Gilmore must undergo mental health counseling, he said.

Gilmore's charge stems from Dec. 31 incident at 1174 Brian Road in Clover. Around 8 p.m., Latta, Gilmore and their daughter went to the home where Latta's then-2-year-old son lived.

Gilmore's daughter said she and her father spent the night at the home of Latta's ex-girlfriend, but he denied doing so, Gilmore testified. The ex-girlfriend confirmed the child's statement, and Gilmore grew angry.

"Tony had told me that we'd be together and make a family, that he had changed," Gilmore testified.

Then tempers flared, she said.

"I slapped Tony, and we began to fight," said Gilmore, who at some point got a knife and stabbed him.

Officials found Latta face down in the backyard, bleeding from his chest, according to reports from the York County Sheriff's Office.

Court testimony showed Gilmore's on-and-off-again relationship of about 17 years with Latta was marred by domestic violence. Gilmore testified Latta verbally, physically and sexually abused her.

"I loved Tony with all my heart," Gilmore said, referring to Latta by his nickname. "It had gotten to a point I didn't know what Tony would do."

Deputy Solicitor Willy Thompson said domestic violence did not justify killing. "She had a lot of choices," he said. But "she made a choice that was inexcusable."

Gilmore, who will be transferred to a state jail, remained in custody Tuesday.