Herald contest winner
Apparently, a lot of you forgot about "Dave."
Many entrants in The Herald's Presidents Day Trivia Quiz incorrectly answered that Kevin Kline had never portrayed an American president in a movie. But the right answer to that question was Kevin Costner; Kline played President Bill Mitchell in "Dave," a 1993 comedy.
Jordan Bolinger, a 13-year-old home-schooler from Catawba, was one of 20 people who answered every question -- including the one about presidents in movies -- correctly. By random drawing, she was declared the winner of a $30 gift certificate from Books-a-Million.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Herald
"I love presidential trivia," Jordan said. "I figured if it was questions about presidents, I had a chance."
Jordan said she did a lot of research but also knew many of the answers.
What did she think was the toughest question? The last time a child of a sitting president was married in the White House was during the administration of which president?
(The right answer is Richard Nixon. Tricia Nixon was married to Edward Cox at the White House on June 12, 1971.)
One question proved particularly difficult as we graded the quiz: Who was the last president who never attended college?
Our intended answer was Harry Truman, the last man to become president without earning a college degree. But so many people answered Andrew Johnson that we did some more research and discovered that Truman worked for two years toward a law degree at the Kansas City Law School in the 1920s.
As a result, we counted both Johnson and Truman as correct answers.
Answers to Presidents Day trivia contest
1. Who was the first vice president to become chief executive upon the death of the president? C. John Tyler
2. The last time a child of a sitting president was married in the White House was during the administration of which president? B. Richard Nixon
3. Who was president during the Mexican War? A. James K. Polk
4. Who was the only president to serve two nonconsecutive terms? B. Grover Cleveland
5. Which of the following actors has never played a U.S. president in a movie? A. Kevin Costner
6. Who was the last president who never attended college? A. Harry Truman and C. Andrew Johnson
7. Who was the last president to serve as a member of the Whig Party? B. Millard Fillmore
8. Who was president during the Teapot Dome scandal? D. Warren G. Harding
9. Who was the last sitting U.S. senator to be elected president? A. John F. Kennedy
10. Which of the following presidents did not die on July 4? D. James Madison
11. Which future president met President Kennedy in the White House Rose Garden in 1962 and said the encounter led him to a life of public service? C. Bill Clinton
12. Which president once worked as a fashion model? C. Gerald Ford
13. Which president studied nuclear physics at Annapolis? A. Jimmy Carter
14. Which president was named Time magazine's "Man of the Year" three times? A. Franklin Roosevelt
15. Which president approved "The Star-Spangled Banner" as the national anthem? B. Herbert Hoover