Suspect in beating will stay in jail

The man police said severely beat local music legend Johnny "Boggie" King within hours of being released from a York County prison camp will remain in jail for now.

Bond was denied Friday for Lagerald Lee Dickerson, 19, of Rock Hill, who was charged Thursday with armed robbery, kidnapping and assault and battery with intent to kill in connection with the beating that occurred Tuesday at Boggie's VCR-DVD Stereo Repair.

Dickerson, clad in orange pants and shirt and handcuffed to another man at a podium, dropped his head and smiled after the bond denial. Meanwhile, King's family filed out of the courtroom.

Maxine Wylie, King's niece, was pleased with the judge's ruling.

"That's good," Wylie said after court. "It (the beating) was senseless."

Around 11 a.m. Tuesday, police responded to the electronics repair store and found 67-year-old King in a fetal position in a back room at the West Main Street business.

"He was tied up and left on the floor severely beaten in the face and head area," said Lt. Jerry Waldrop of the Rock Hill Police Department.

King's hands were bound with an electrical cord, Waldrop said. He was conscious but incoherent, according to a police report.

Witness statements helped lead police to Dixon, Waldrop said. Dixon was arrested Thursday afternoon without incident at a business off of Herlong Avenue, where he was visiting a family member, Waldrop said.

On Friday, Wylie, King's niece, addressed the court as two family members looked on.

"The only thing I'd like to know is why," said Wylie, who stood steps from Dickerson. "He's having to suffer, and he'll have to suffer for a long time. He did not deserve what happened to him."

After court, Wylie talked about her Uncle Boggie, who faces plastic surgery.

"He does have some vision," Wylie said about King. "He doesn't know colors, but he knows movements and shapes."

Her face lit up with pride when she spoke of King's passion for music.

"Uncle Boggie has always gotten music from his heart and soul," she said. "If the worst scenario occurs, he can't lose what God gave him -- his gift to play music."

Waldrop said Dickerson is no stranger to the judicial system and had just been released from the York County prison camp hours before King's beating occurred. Officials at the prison camp could not say why Dickerson served time or how long he had been in custody.

However, his criminal record reflects two counts of resisting arrest, public disorderly conduct, driving under a suspended license and a drug-related charge, according to the State Law Enforcement Division.

Dickerson, whose initial court appearance is slated for April 21, remained in custody Friday at the York County Detention Center.