With the November election less than a month away, local candidates are preparing to face off in a host of political forums.
The big one comes Oct. 21, when hopefuls from across York County will convene at Fort Mill High School for a York County Regional Chamber of Commerce forum. The event has been held at Baxter Hood Center in Rock Hill, but a scheduling conflict caused it to be moved.
Fort Mill will see more political activity than usual this year, with at least three forums planned before the Nov. 4 election. The schedule on Oct. 21 will include close to a dozen races.
"That's going to be pretty lengthy, to say the least," said Trudie Bolin Heemsoth, director of the Fort Mill Area Council. "With the number of candidates we have running this year, it will give the voters an opportunity to hear what they stand for."
Here's a look at the events:
- Oct. 14: State Senate District 16 debate between Republican Mick Mulvaney and Democrat Mandy Powers Norrell; 7 p.m. at Indian Land Middle School.
-Oct. 16: Forum for city of York area candidates, including state House and County Council. Hosted by Greater York Chamber of Commerce; 7 to 9 p.m. at Cotton Belt Elementary School.
- Oct. 17: Debate between solicitor candidates Republican Kevin Brackett and Democrat Phil Jamieson. York County Bar Association luncheon; 1 p.m. at Gettys Center in Rock Hill.
-Oct. 21: Countywide candidates forum, including state House and County Council. Hosted by York County Regional Chamber of Commerce and Fort Mill Area Council; 6 to 8 p.m. at Fort Mill High School auditorium.
- Oct. 21: Debate between Mulvaney and Norrell; 7 p.m. at USC Lancaster.
- Oct. 22: Televised debate between U.S. Rep. John Spratt, D-S.C., and Republican challenger Albert Spencer. Live at 7 p.m. on S.C. ETV, Comporium cable Channel 15 in Rock Hill.
- Oct. 28: Forum for Fort Mill school board, Town Council and U.S. House candidates. Location and time TBA.
- Nov. 1: Stump speeches by Fort Mill area candidates, including County Council. Hosted by the Move Fort Mill Forward civic group; 10 a.m. to noon at bandstand in downtown Fort Mill.