What is the greatest challenge in getting businesses to come to the area?
• Creighton Coleman said, "Two things: taxes and qualified labor. The county needs to be able to work with the industries coming in to give them some sort of break on taxes. York County has got a great technical (college) system. Chester's just now getting their technical system located within Chester County."
• Mark Bennett said, "It's hard to say. It's some crazy times with the stock market. We're in a good location, centrally located between Charlotte and Columbia. The interstate is nearby. We need to keep the taxes low."
How would you rate the job of the current senator, Linda Short?
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Herald
• Creighton Coleman said, "Linda's extremely smart. She was on the school board, so she was very in tune on education issues. She really understood the budget and education. I think I'd continue doing what she did."
• Mark Bennett said, "Linda's done a fine job. I wouldn't be a whole lot different from her. I would fight at every chance to keep taxes lower. That would be the major difference between Linda and myself. As few taxes as humanly possible."
As a freshman senator from a sparsely populated district, how will you build influence in Columbia?
• Creighton Coleman said, "That's the advantage I have. I've been in the Legislature for eight years. I can walk across the hall in the House and see anybody I want in leadership positions, and they will do everything they can to work with me. I feel like I can hit the ground running."
• Mark Bennett said, "It would never happen overnight. They'd have to come to know me as a person and a man. Everything I do would be out in the open. I'm sure I would offend some with that attitude. But others, as time goes on, I would have an effect on them."