FORT MILL -- The Fort Mill School Board is scheduled to decide Monday how to reassign hundreds of elementary students.
Superintendent Keith Callicutt last month recommended a reassignment plan that would shift some 1,300 children in preparation for the opening of two new elementary schools next fall.
The board is scheduled to vote on Callicutt's recommendation.
Audience turnout could be high for the culmination of what has become a contentious process. Parents, unhappy with the initial options, bombarded board members with e-mails and demands for a new plan.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Many said they believe the district is creating inequality among schools by not balancing the numbers of students who receive free and reduced-price lunch.
Pleasant Knoll Elementary, one of the new schools, for example, would open with about 11 percent of its students on subsidized lunch. Sugar Creek, the other new school, would open with about 26 percent of its students who receive the same.
Callicutt has maintained that neither he nor the school board took part in devising the original three proposals. The district hired Dale Holden, a Columbia contractor, to redraw lines.
The district, Callicutt said, asked Holden to consider, but not prioritize these factors: school enrollment, demographics, transportation, transitions from fifth to sixth grade, keeping neighborhoods assigned to one school and whether proposals are fair, reasonable and easy to understand. Monday's meeting starts at 7 p.m. in the district office.
To view Callicutt's recommended student reassignment plan, go to: www.fort-mill.k12.sc.us.
Monday's meeting starts at 7 p.m. at the district office, 120 E. Elliott St., Fort Mill.