How well did you pay attention to local news in 2008? Take The Herald's annual end-of-year quiz and find out.
Answers can be submitted online starting by noon today at heraldonline.com, submitted by fax at 803-329-4021, or by regular mail at The Herald, P.O. Box 11707, 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29731, attention Jason Foster.
Answers must be received by noon Jan. 7.
Please give your name, your city and a phone number where you can be reached (it won't be published).
We will award prizes to the top three scores. First prize is a $50 Best Buy gift card; second prize is $30 in movie passes; third prize is a copy of Herald columnist Andrew Dys' book, "Slice of Dys." In case of a tie, winners will be selected by random drawing.
1) What is the name of the public art piece installed this year outside the Cotton Factory in downtown Rock Hill?
a. The Needle and Thread
c. The Old Cotton Gin
2) For what post in the Obama administration was U.S. Rep. John Spratt of York rumored to be a possibility?
a. Treasury secretary
b. Federal Reserve chairman
c. Budget director
d. Secretary of state
3) What movie that filmed in Rock Hill in 2005 was finally released -- albeit straight to DVD -- in 2008?
b. "Walker Payne"
d. "Gospel Hill"
4) A group of enthusiasts hopes Rock Hill can earn a designation as a:
a. Skateboard friendly city
b. Garden friendly city
c. Gun friendly city
d. Bike friendly city
5) This coffee shop closed on Cherry Road after its owner got a new job:
6) An outdoor movie series at the renovated City Hall amphitheater in Rock Hill made its debut with which film?
a. "Rain Man"
b. "Singin' in the Rain"
c. "The Lion King"
7) How many Rock Hill Elementary schools this year reached student achievement goals set by the federal No Child Left Behind law?
8) Which team did the Carolina Panthers defeat in the team's only "Monday Night Football" appearance of 2008?
a. Tampa Bay Buccaneeers
b. New York Giants
c. Green Bay Packers
d. Chicago Bears
9) Which York County town did not register a single vote for Barack Obama in January's Democratic primary?
10) What did a customer at a Fort Mill Hardee's give as a tip to workers on Christmas day?
a. $100 bills
b. $50 bills
c. DVD players
d. Gift certificates to McDonald's
11) The state championship football game between South Pointe and Northwestern high schools was played in which city?
a. Rock Hill
c. Myrtle Beach
12) Which York County school district has the most money -- $23 million -- in reserves?
a. Rock Hill schools
b. York schools
c. Fort Mill schools
d. Clover schools
13) The Cubbedge family of Rock Hill got a surprise in November when they found which kind of critter hiding in the back of their dryer?
14) Barack Obama made a stop in York County early in 2008. In which venue did he hold a rally just days before the S.C. Democratic primary?
a. Northwestern High School gym
b. Rock Hill City Hall amphitheater
c. McBryde Hall at Winthrop University
d. Winthrop Coliseum
15) Cheerleaders from which local high school will cheer in the Gator Bowl Parade and game on New Year's Day in Jacksonville, Fla.?
a. Nation Ford High
b. Chester High
c. Clover High
d. South Pointe High
16) Which team eliminated Winthrop University from the 2008 NCAA men's basketball tournament?
a. Notre Dame
b. Washington State
17) Fort Mill schools Superintendent Keith Callicutt was a finalist for the same job in which S.C. county earlier in the year?
a. Horry County
b. Charleston County
c. Beaufort County
d. Richland County
18) Bob Bowman, coach of Olympic superstar swimmer Michael Phelps, was born in which York County town?
a. Fort Mill
b. Tega Cay
19) Which longtime York County councilman lost his re-election bid in November?
a. Buddy Motz
b. Rick Lee
c. Curwood Chappell
d. Paul Lindemann
20) What distinction did Rock Hill receive this year from BusinessWeek magazine?
a. Best Place to Retire in South Carolina
b. Best Place to Find a Job in South Carolina
c. Best Place to Raise Your Kids in South Carolina
d. Best Place to Live in South Carolina